Thread: [SOLVED] Valid password is denied from locked screen

Beans

[SOLVED] Valid password is denied from locked screen

I've had a couple of strange issues lately. My .dmrc file (that lists my default session) was corrupted. It had no owner/group set. I removed the file, and recreated and everything works fine with that. Here's the second issue and I wonder if it's related.
    Anytime I lock the screen I can't resume my session. It tells me I'm typing an invalid password. There is only one problem with this, I'm not typing in the wrong password. I can ctrl-alt-f2 and login there, or I can hit switch user and can log in there. I only installed one keyboard, so that shouldn't be an issue.
    I tried activating the root account with sudo passwd, The response told me it was successful, but anytime I try to su over it won't accept the password. I can do a sudo -i -u root and it works just fine.
    I'm just wondering if any of this points to a central issue. Any help would be appreciated.
    MacBook Pro 2011 15" 8GB RAM
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 @ 3.2GHz
    8GB PC6400 DDR 2 4-4-4-12

Beans

Re: Valid password is denied from locked screen

Nothing?

Beans

Re: Valid password is denied from locked screen

So I'm reading and googling, and this is the only thing I've found. My /sbin/unix_chkpwd seems to have improper permissions. Apparently I should get -rwxr-sr-x, but instead I get the following:

shawn@shawn-laptop:~$ ls -l /sbin/unix_chkpwd
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root shadow 19584 2008-08-22 16:03 /sbin/unix_chkpwd

SOLVED EDIT: I figured it out.

chown root:shadow /sbin/unix_chkpwd
    chmod 2755 /sbin/unix_chkpwd

This has been an all me posting, but I know its kinda difficult and in a fast moving forum. Hopefully this information helps someone out there.
    Last edited by michaelkahl; October 2nd, 2008 at 12:02 AM.