Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GIMP 2.6 release on FTP

Beans

Re: GIMP 2.6 release on FTP

Quote Originally Posted by Half-Left View Post
    I was going to post how to build manually but being as getdebs has it now, you can make it easy on yourself.
    I'd be interested in seeing it, Half-Left. I installed from the DEBs, but the main reason is because I am having a terrible time finding the libs and such I need to build stuff. It took me 30 minutes of trial and error and google to finally uncover all of the dependencies I needed to build Gnomint. Is there a way that I can install like a 'developer's package' or something for Ubuntu?
    You'll have to forgive me, I'm used to FreeBSD, where I could specify at install time if I wanted source code installed. I can't seem to figure it out for Ubuntu.

I like 2.6 a lot but I ended up replacing the splash screen with my own. I've attached it to this post. If you like it, save it as "gimp-splash.png" in your /home/username/.gimp-2.6 folder.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner"
    My kickawesome web design business...powered by Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by TrikeKid View Post
    Care to elaborate for the less literate? That command accomplishes nothing for me.
    dude you will download all the .debs to a folder.And you will go to that folder at terminal and you will install all debs with that command that is all

Beans

It works! All I needed was the libpoppler-glib2. I'm using Intrepid Ibex, so I added the security.ubuntu repo to my software source, tada, installed libpoppler-glib2, GIMP, all the rest. Thanks everyone.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kakurady View Post
    Ubuntu 8.04 i686.

babl-0.0.22 compile successful.
    Cannot compile GEGL:
    Code:
    ./clones.xml
    /home/nekoyasha/Downloads/gegl-0.0.18/bin/.libs/lt-gegl: error while loading shared libraries: libbabl-0.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    BABL was installed to /usr/local/lib/.
    you have to run ldconfig after you install babl (and gegl or any shared object, for that manner) manually.

Code:
    sudo ldconfig

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by binbash View Post
    dude you will download all the .debs to a folder.And you will go to that folder at terminal and you will install all debs with that command that is all
    Still no success.
    I initially assumed that the dependency issue was related to the sequence of installation of the various components. If that was the case, a repeat of the depackaging command should have worked. Instead I got the message below.

I had unloaded the previous version (GIMP-2.4.5) via synaptic before I started this adventure with GIMP-2.6, but it appears that that wasn't enough.

Any advice? How do I find the "right" gimp-data file?

Cheers

Extracted from sudo dpkg on terminal

(Reading database ... 165344 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace gimp 2.6.0-1~getdeb1 (using gimp_2.6.0-1~getdeb1_i386.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement gimp ...
    Preparing to replace gimp-python 2.6.0-1~getdeb1 (using gimp-python_2.6.0-1~getdeb1_i386.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement gimp-python ...
    Preparing to replace libbabl-0.0-0 0.0.22-1~getdeb1 (using libbabl-0.0-0_0.0.22-1~getdeb1_i386.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement libbabl-0.0-0 ...
    Preparing to replace libgegl-0.0-0 0.0.18-1~getdeb1 (using libgegl-0.0-0_0.0.18-1~getdeb1_i386.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement libgegl-0.0-0 ...
    Preparing to replace libgimp2.0 2.6.0-1~getdeb1 (using libgimp2.0_2.6.0-1~getdeb1_i386.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement libgimp2.0 ...
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of gimp:
    gimp depends on gimp-data (>= 2.6.0); however:
    Version of gimp-data on system is 2.4.5-1ubuntu2.

dpkg: error processing gimp (--install):
    dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of gimp-python:
    gimp-python depends on gimp (= 2.6.0-1~getdeb1); however:
    Package gimp is not configured yet.
    dpkg: error processing gimp-python (--install):
    Setting up libbabl-0.0-0 (0.0.22-1~getdeb1) ...

Setting up libgegl-0.0-0 (0.0.18-1~getdeb1) ...

Setting up libgimp2.0 (2.6.0-1~getdeb1) ...

Processing triggers for libc6 ...
    ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    gimp
    gimp-python

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Following on from my last post.
    Assuming that something didn't download sweetly (although I don't know enough to know what!), I removed it all and started again. The depackage generated no faults, but the GIMP splash screen initially stalled on "scanner plug-ins".

I removed all scanner-related plugins and the launch was able to complete. I haven't yet checked whether everything works, but so far so good.

Thanks everyone for the guidance.

Cheers

Beans

I've added some instructions on the front page about compiling GIMP, sorry I've forgot about some of the deps you need but Ubuntu has them, running ./configure will tell you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Buster95 View Post
    Still no success.
    I initially assumed that the dependency issue was related to the sequence of installation of the various components. If that was the case, a repeat of the depackaging command should have worked. Instead I got the message below.

I had unloaded the previous version (GIMP-2.4.5) via synaptic before I started this adventure with GIMP-2.6, but it appears that that wasn't enough.

Any advice? How do I find the "right" gimp-data file?

Cheers

Extracted from sudo dpkg on terminal

(Reading database ... 165344 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace gimp 2.6.0-1~getdeb1 (using gimp_2.6.0-1~getdeb1_i386.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement gimp ...
    Preparing to replace gimp-python 2.6.0-1~getdeb1 (using gimp-python_2.6.0-1~getdeb1_i386.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement gimp-python ...
    Preparing to replace libbabl-0.0-0 0.0.22-1~getdeb1 (using libbabl-0.0-0_0.0.22-1~getdeb1_i386.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement libbabl-0.0-0 ...
    Preparing to replace libgegl-0.0-0 0.0.18-1~getdeb1 (using libgegl-0.0-0_0.0.18-1~getdeb1_i386.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement libgegl-0.0-0 ...
    Preparing to replace libgimp2.0 2.6.0-1~getdeb1 (using libgimp2.0_2.6.0-1~getdeb1_i386.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement libgimp2.0 ...
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of gimp:
    gimp depends on gimp-data (>= 2.6.0); however:
    Version of gimp-data on system is 2.4.5-1ubuntu2.

dpkg: error processing gimp (--install):
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of gimp-python:
    gimp-python depends on gimp (= 2.6.0-1~getdeb1); however:
    Package gimp is not configured yet.
    dpkg: error processing gimp-python (--install):
    Setting up libbabl-0.0-0 (0.0.22-1~getdeb1) ...

Setting up libgegl-0.0-0 (0.0.18-1~getdeb1) ...

Setting up libgimp2.0 (2.6.0-1~getdeb1) ...

Processing triggers for libc6 ...
    ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    gimp
    gimp-python
    The right gimp-data file is on the getdeb page.

I installed them with Gdebi instead of terminal, might have taken a bit longer but it worked. Double click on the main gimp package, and it will tell you which dependency you're missing, install that one then try it again and it tells you which to install next and so on.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Half-Left View Post
    I've added some instructions on the front page about compiling GIMP, sorry I've forgot about some of the deps you need but Ubuntu has them, running ./configure will tell you.
    Please do not manually install anything in /usr unless you want the hassle of conflicting versions of libs when babl and gegl enter main. There is no guarantee that the packaged version of the libs will overwrite your manually installed versions.

/usr/local or /opt will both work equally well and make it easier on yourself as long as those paths are included in ld.so.conf and you remember to run ldconfig after your make install.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast