View Poll Results: Do you think you will use Guest Sessions?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • No Probably Never!

1 1.85%
  • Maybe A little Bit?

30 55.56%
  • I'll probably use it often.

23 42.59%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [SOLVED] Guest Session from GDM Login Screen before X Start

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Guest Session from GDM Login Screen before X Start

Quote Originally Posted by wilsong View Post
    Ok, think about this, HOW ABOUT having the CHOICE to CHOOSE! I would like to have someone to be able to log into my computer when I am not around as a GUEST! I would much rather anyone use my computer under a guest account. Can we make some way to accommodate both!? I am sure it can be? Some how some way
    From my previous message:
    Quote Originally Posted by forumache
    Yes, it would be nice to have an option to allow guest from shutdown/logged off/locked, although I wouldn't use it.
    I am pro choice

From Feasibility Study episode in The Outer Limits:
    "For centuries philosophers and theologians have debated what it means to be human. Perhaps the answer has eluded us because it is so simple. To be human is to choose."

Beans
    Distro

I'd like the option of logging in as guest from the chooser, as well.
    Locke
    Try Dropbox, it's FREE! (gratis) http://db.tt/J7Sm9iC
    Try Dropbox experimental build updater http://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?id=12153

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by forumache View Post
    From my previous message:
    I am pro choice
    Haha, and i need glasses.. Locke_99GS I am hoping to hear from one of the guys helping to program all the features for Guest Sessions, hopefully he will contact me or view this forum, anyone else played around with Guest Sessions much?

Beans
    Hidden!

From Guest Session settings:

I really like the idea of the guest session but was wondering if there is any way to make changes to its defaults?

For example, when i open Firefox in the guest session i have to choose my settings for Add-ons. When I log out and open a new Guest session I have to do it all over again.

So it would be great if I could set things like that by default and, say, add specific icons to the desktop.

Beans
    Distro

Lightbulb Re: Guest Session from GDM Login Screen before X Start

Well, I just got through having a chat with Martin Pitt (aka pitti on irc) https://launchpad.net/~pitti

Guest session

The User Switcher panel applet (package fast-user-switch-applet) now provides an extra entry for starting a Guest session (by Martin Pitt). This creates a temporary password-less user account with restricted privileges: the account cannot access any users' home directories, nor permanently store data. This is sufficiently safe to lend your laptop to someone else for a quick email check

Martin and I had a chat about these ideas on IRC, see attached chat.txt if you want to see the full chat,

basically he said "we don't want to configure this kind of "everyone can use my computer" by default"

Though it would be nice to have the option to enable a guest account that doesn't save files and clears settings on logoff (like i would i like) i would of course not want someone able to use the system if it was stolen (which a guest like that would allow). I am going to mark this as solved because after talking to Martin he suggest creating a regular account "called guest" and not setting a password, which would resolve a few of our request for features though I was aware of this I was hoping to alter the guest account for more usefulness. (because now its something i will probably never use).

If you have any Q , Comments Or Want to Post Feel Free! Love to Hear your ideas!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: [SOLVED] Guest Session from GDM Login Screen before X Start

IMHO thats better idea to create guest-account to machines held at home, than to enable gdm-guest-session, via login.

I'm also wondering about altering setup to guest-session,
    but what i've gathered, it creates random guest-xxx session.
    So it would be difficult to change the defaults.

Maybe via somekind of a guest-session-daemon?

But there's an ugly bug at the moment
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...on/+bug/269921
    So i'm not lending any of mine laptops to no-one

Beans
    Distro

Smile Re: [SOLVED] Guest Session from GDM Login Screen before X Start

Quote Originally Posted by taavikko View Post
    IMHO thats better idea to create guest-account to machines held at home, than to enable gdm-guest-session, via login.

I'm also wondering about altering setup to guest-session,
    but what i've gathered, it creates random guest-xxx session.
    So it would be difficult to change the defaults.

Maybe via somekind of a guest-session-daemon?

But there's an ugly bug at the moment
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...on/+bug/269921
    So i'm not lending any of mine laptops to no-one

I think that guest sessions will always be buggy, I just dont feel theres a way that they will be able to protect the system enough and still give people access to the internet, someone will find some way to use some port, or some function, i like the idea, but it just seems that it might be doomed to issues and problems.

Like when i used it i was able to go login with guest sessions and read a file in my own home directory.. i couldnt delete it, or read other ones.. but for some reason 1 file i could, and i looked at the permissions and it was owned by me not guest or anything.. i heard on launchpad theres a bug that lets people to read the file off the users home dir.. i am sure there will be other issues but i guess ill end up setting up another user account for other people i wish to use my comp

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: [SOLVED] Guest Session from GDM Login Screen before X Start

Quote Originally Posted by wilsong View Post
    i heard on launchpad theres a bug that lets people to read the file off the users home dir.. i am sure there will be other issues but i guess ill end up setting up another user account for other people i wish to use my comp
    Yep. the one I just referred to...

In *nix you can always view the contents of /home
    Default rights are 755 for directories and 644 to files.
    I'll leave the calculating to you
    4=read
    2=write
    1=execute
    Thats much more secure than resticted rights of gdm-guest-session

The bug in question, is marked as security vulnerability.
    The basic idea of gdm-guest-session is absolutely marvelous.
    Once they get it to work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12