View Poll Results: Do you think you will use Guest Sessions?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • No Probably Never!

1 1.85%
  • Maybe A little Bit?

30 55.56%
  • I'll probably use it often.

23 42.59%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Guest Session from GDM Login Screen before X Start

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

[SOLVED] Guest Session from GDM Login Screen before X Start

I would like to have Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex 8.10 set up that when at the first startup screen, i can login, or a guest can click and enter no password and use the guest session

It doesnt make much sense to me that they would have to log into my session, (having to know my password) and then click on the users in the top and then choose guest session?

I would also like if i were to go away from my pc, and the screen saver came on, someone could click and go to the guest account, and use it when i am gone. That would make the most sense to me ? Am i Wrong here? Does this seem right to anyone else? Am I doing something wrong?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Guest Session from GDM Login Screen before X Start

What you say makes sense to me too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I most certainly agree, my guess is that the solution they have chosen in the first place makes it hard to achieve this because I don't think they haven't thought about it

Beans
    Distro

Unhappy Re: Guest Session from GDM Login Screen before X Start

Quote Originally Posted by olskar View Post
    I most certainly agree, my guess is that the solution they have chosen in the first place makes it hard to achieve this because I don't think they haven't thought about it
    Wow this really isn't cool... I wonder who or what idea was behind having a guest session, I cant find any thing about it really, I really would like to see the guest on the first login screen where i put in my user name and password,

But when i click, System, Administration, Login Window (gdmsetup) and i click on Users, I unchecked Include all users from /etc/passwd

this gave me the ability to add myself to the include side.. and i tried to add guest but i get this error

"The guest user UID is lower than allow minimalUID"

and i dont even see my own login to select either, which sort of bites, i dont mind typing in my login username, but i would much rather be able to click and type password only, and have my girlfriend be able to click guest, and use the computer without me having to worry about her having permissions to mess anything up..

If i leave it logged into my account i could show her how to launch a guest session but i really think that defeats the purpose.. I could make her another account, but i dont want to set an extra up (i really dont think i should have to isnt that the purpose of a guest account? )

Anyone with thoughts or ideas please advise?

Beans
    Distro

Unhappy Re: Guest Session from GDM Login Screen before X Start

Quote Originally Posted by forumache View Post
    What you say makes sense to me too.
    I am glad someone agrees with what i am saying, hrmm :/

Beans
    Distro

I found a page that said Martin Pitt helps with the guest session, i am going to see if i can email him, hopefully he will be able to see if theres some way we can have this work this way, does anyone else thing this would be a nice feature?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

The point of having a user explicitly start a guest session is because of security. This way, you know that "guests" aren't messing with your computer when you're not around.

At least that's the idea. I'd also like an option of just logging into a guest session from GDM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pingpongboss View Post
    The point of having a user explicitly start a guest session is because of security. This way, you know that "guests" aren't messing with your computer when you're not around.

At least that's the idea. I'd also like an option of just logging into a guest session from GDM.
    I guess the security aspect, you could set up the security that only root could enable it to even be allowed, and then once root has allowed it, it becomes an option, and then you could use it. I like that someone can use the system but have VERY LITTLE PRIVILEGES (just to get on the internet, and small stuff like that)

Of course, Guest only be able to login from the "console" (physical pc) not remote or anything but i am glad you like to see this feature i hope Mr. Pitts Will be able to take this suggestion and review it. I really hope this comes out.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thinking about this... I come to realise that it may make sense the way it is.

For example, if my wife might use the computer to check her email, I would make an account for her. This way she will be able to save her bookmarks, passwords, documents and find them next time. For her it makes sense to be able to login from gdm.

A friend comes to my house and he wants to check his email. I am at home and logged in. I will select the guest session and let him check.

The only inconvenient is when a friend comes to my house and my computer is shut down or I am logged off or the screen is locked. He has no business of using my computer alone then, sorry. I would need to login and let him use the guest account. For every other frequent user, make an account.

Yes, it would be nice to have an option to allow guest from shutdown/logged off/locked, although I wouldn't use it.

I guess I reverted my original opinion

Beans
    Distro

Question Re: Guest Session from GDM Login Screen before X Start

Quote Originally Posted by forumache View Post
    The only inconvenient is when a friend comes to my house and my computer is shut down or I am logged off or the screen is locked. He has no business of using my computer alone then, sorry. I would need to login and let him use the guest account. For every other frequent user, make an account.
    Ok, think about this, HOW ABOUT having the CHOICE to CHOOSE! I would like to have someone to be able to log into my computer when I am not around as a GUEST! I would much rather anyone use my computer under a guest account. Can we make some way to accommodate both!? I am sure it can be? Some how some way

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast