View Poll Results: I can't use Linux full time because:

Voters
275. You may not vote on this poll
  • I miss specific professional/ shareware app (iTunes, Photoshop, Autocad, etc)

79 28.73%
  • Some of my hardware is not supported (A webcam, printer, video-card, etc)

38 13.82%
  • I find the development tools / libraries lacking.

6 2.18%
  • The look and feel of Linux (either KDE or Gnome), is not to my liking

12 4.36%
  • Games - I want to play games unavailable on Linux

76 27.64%
  • It's just a hobby, I will never run Linux as my only OS.

6 2.18%
  • [Linux works for me, and it's my only OS]

131 47.64%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: What's your personal barrier for full time Linux adoption?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: What's your personal barrier for full time Linux adoption?

I voted for The look and feel of Linux (either KDE or Gnome), is not to my liking.

I just can't stay with Linux for too long, and I don't know why but I guess that selection in the Poll might be it.
    Last edited by Newuser1111; November 16th, 2008 at 06:06 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

My canon mp 450 doesn't seem to work very-well under Gnu/Linux and I am having trouble with running REAPER using wine( with my midi controller).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Although I use GNU/Linux Ubuntu for over 3-4 years and spends 3/4th of the time on GNU/Linux Ubuntu the only hitch remaining is good casual games. Once that is done then don't see it stopping for anything.
    Registered Linux user #468829

http://flossexperiences.wordpress.com

Beans

No barrier.

I use my computer for internet, open office, listen music, play video, photo, print and scan, chat.

all of this work fine with ubuntu, that's why i have a single boot linux with my 2 computers for 2 years.

Beans

Personally, I just cannot give up iTunes. I absolutely love the program. I've tried both Amarok and Rhythmbox, but I can't let go of iTunes. It's just perfect for me.

I'd run it through VirtualBox, but then there is my games. I rarely game anymore, but when I do, I'd like to be able to play some Windows games without having to use WINE.
    "If I must choose between righteousness and peace, I choose righteousness."
    -Theodore Roosevelt : 26th President of the United States

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I need to run Photoshop and Illustrator for doing homework assignments. I'm already switching between a Mac and Windows for that as it is. And I'll probably be using Adobe programs in whatever job I get after college (or so I hope XD).

Aside from that, I really have no problems with Ubuntu. I use OpenOffice on my Windows computer as well and I like the text editors and everything else that comes with Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by venator260 View Post
    As it stands, I keep Xp for Power Point usage only.
    Wow, what a tragic reason to still have XP on your computer. Have you tried OpenOffice Impress for presentations? It has all the same features as far as I can tell, and can open .ppt files without a problem.

Beans

Video editting.

Im so in to pinnacle that i just can't imagine switching to another program. For all the other prog's there is a good linux alternative.

Damn pinnacle!

Greets,

Joris M.

Aearenda is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

My laptop is fulltime Ubuntu. But I have a Canon scanner that I use for negative scanning, and there are no Linux drivers for it, so I have a Windows XP system for that. I also use it for Powerpoint. Yes, OOo can open the files, and show the presentations. Actually *creating* a presentation using OOo is just too painful, especially if you use slide masters - settings in the master just don't stick.

Beans

Other people

I've had no problem going without Windows on my own computers for a few years and I prefer to do that, but being a CS student it is impossible for me to completely avoid using Windows (if I want to graduate, that is ) because some of our courses concentrate on Windows only software -- such as Visual Studio.

Also, in one economics course we were supposed to watch some videos that only worked with IE and Windows Media Player, but despite trying to watch them on a couple of Windows machines, I never managed to get them to work at all (fortunately I had no trouble passing the course without them and I heard from a friend that the videos were pretty much useless for the course, anyway).

Why, oh, why can't people use stuff that actually works and doesn't require Windows XP SP1, with WMP 9, IE 6 and exactly correct moon phase and number of sunspots?

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678