View Poll Results: I can't use Linux full time because:

Voters
275. You may not vote on this poll
  • I miss specific professional/ shareware app (iTunes, Photoshop, Autocad, etc)

79 28.73%
  • Some of my hardware is not supported (A webcam, printer, video-card, etc)

38 13.82%
  • I find the development tools / libraries lacking.

6 2.18%
  • The look and feel of Linux (either KDE or Gnome), is not to my liking

12 4.36%
  • Games - I want to play games unavailable on Linux

76 27.64%
  • It's just a hobby, I will never run Linux as my only OS.

6 2.18%
  • [Linux works for me, and it's my only OS]

131 47.64%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your personal barrier for full time Linux adoption?

Beans

Re: What's your personal barrier for full time Linux adoption?

Use Linux 24/7 at home, but I have to use MS where I work unfortunately. Does this mean I have adopted it, or only partially, even though it is beyond my control - otherwise I would use it all day, every day.

Also, I am writing my thesis at the moment and use Endnote at on my MS Computer at University, but it is not Linux compatible unfortunately.

Moving to Latex soon, so this will no longer be a problem.
    Last edited by Chessmaster; October 1st, 2008 at 03:31 PM.
    Desktop: Intel Pentium IV 2.40GHz, Memory 1GB, Ubuntu 8.40
    Laptop: Mobile AMD Sempron 1.8 GHz, Memory 1.2GB, Kubuntu 8.10

Beans
    Hidden!

No barrier here as I'm using Linux only on both of my laptops at home. True, I have an XP partition on the testing machine but I haven't booted that in half a year at least.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by K.Mandla View Post
    Where is said poll?
    http://files.opensuse.org/opensuse/e...data_final.pdf

This was a survey done by SUSE found on the footnotes of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_adoption#cite_ref-53

I should point out that survey says that 71.8% of people surveyed run KDE and 22.4% GNOME which is to be expected of SUSE but oerhaps not the GNU/Linux community as a whole

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I don't really want to vote! On my desktop, I have a VERY small XP partition, originally intended for playing games on. But I seldom boot it up (maybe once every few months)... because I am addicted to Nexuiz! There is nothing else I need from Windows on my home computer (that I haven't solved with WINE).

My laptop is a different story. I can't wait until I can replace XP with Ubuntu, but there are some things holding me back. First, and most importantly, I can't access my University wifi. There is a wiki from the student linux user group with a method that is supposed to work, but I can't figure it out!
    Second, I have a usb gps unit that I can't get to work with Ubuntu. Even if I figured out how to do that, I doubt I could run good gps software in Ubuntu.

Essentially, if I could access University internet with linux, I'd be Windows-free.

-mike
    Intel Core2duo 4400, 2ghz -- Intel DP965LT motherboard, onboard sound -- nVidia 8500GT (from MSI) 256MB -- 2gig ram

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I used to need Windows for certain programs but now that I recently learned about Virtualbox, I no longer need to dual boot. I have wine and virtualbox to help me out if I cannot find an native alternative to a Window's program.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

As it stands, I keep Xp for Power Point usage only. I boot into XP a few times a semester to do a presentation. I can forsee an increase in this during my student teaching next semester. While I dislike a teacher who lectures off of Power Point all the time, I see a use for it to cater to visual learners.

I know about the projects to get Office applications to work on Linux. I may mess with them in the near future, however, booting into XP works, and it's already there. And also, since I do not use Xp for anything else, there are fewer distractions that would tempt me to minimize my project and do something less constructive.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Blu-Ray player on my laptop. Don't use it much but I like to have the option.

Beans

I triple boot:

* a very large partition for Slackware, my main OS
    * a medium sized partition for Arch, which I use to test new stuff
    * a tiny partition for Windows, in case I need to use Microsoft Office

Beans

All the barriers that mattered to me came down years ago.

Sure, there may be some vendors who still cater only to the pc and/or mac crowds, some games or other software packages that aren't available to me at present, but I have what I need to survive in linux, I'm happy with the platform, and I'm not going back.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Does this poll refers to people dualbooting with M$ ******* specifically, dualbooting with M$ Linux or dualbooting in general?
    "Some people says that if you run a Microsoft Midori iso backwards you will hear demon voices commanding you to worship Satan". But that's nothing. If you run it forward it will install Microsoft Midori.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast