Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What Statistics Software do you recommend?

Beans

Re: What Statistics Software do you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by gnuman View Post
    I just got done taking a course in SAS programming. Although SAS is very capable of handling large data sets, my heart is with R. I've removed the "limited student educational package discount rate" version and will now dedicate my free time to learn R. It's quite capable and efficient, IMO.

I agree! SAS is the default in the medical industry like S-Plus was in academia a few years ago. For me R has overtaken both and after moving from S-Plus I was shocked by how much more is available in R. I had to do a generalised partial least squares analysis recently (with a multinomial rather than continuous response and several thousand covariates). My employers had MATLAB, SAS, S-PLUS and GENSTAT. Only R could do the job with the gpls package! And if your into bioinformatics R is the ONLY option for me!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I find more and more reason to love the forums every time I run a search. I'm looking for statistics software, and this thread was very helpful. Thanks, guys!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I also highly recommend R. Although the learning curve can be steep, the results are definitely worth it.

Check out the main web page and the help newsgroups.

http://www.r-project.org/

There are plenty of manuals online, but I recomend getting:

Introductory Statistics with R, Dalgaard, P. (2002)
    The R Book, Crawley, M.J. (2007)

Good luck!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If you want to learn basic time series analysis and get started with R, I would reccomend Time Series Analysis with R - Part I

Matteo

subs is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

this was intriguing...

Beans

Also check out the R/SPlus-Python Interface which lets you call R functions from Python! There are some statistical packages for Python but currently much more limited than R.

Beans

I have SAS successfully working in a Qemu box. This is very easy to set up and works well. Qemu is a full emulator, which allows you to boot up windows inside a window on linux. It works very well and is very fast (if you install kqemu, which is not in gutsy yet, as far as I know, but easy to install nonetheless). Tip: After setting things up, use the VNC interface over the standard SDL one.

I installed windows 2000 inside my qemu 2Gig fake harddisk and then installed SAS into it without any problems. SAS works like a charm. I have also installed SPSS so I now have all my stats programs available. With some simple setup, you can share documents between the windows and unix environment.

hope this helps,
    Dirk

http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/

Beans

There is indeed a version of SAS 9.1.3 that is available for linux, however it is not free unless it is licensed by your company/university. I was able to pick up a free copy of the linux version of SAS 9.1.3 today from my school and had it installed with only a few minor problems. The setup went relatively smoothly, but when I tried to invoke SAS in the terminal following installation it gave me an error message about not being able to write to the "Work" folder and was thus not able to open. I googled the error message and found a solution online which involved changing the location of the work folder to a location where I had read/write permissions. The interface itself is similar to that of the windows version, but for some reason the program editor, log, output, explorer, etc were all contained in separate windows instead within one SAS window. So far, I think the windows version is a lot easier to use
    Last edited by homeriq5; January 30th, 2008 at 11:02 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I've been using SAS on my openSUSE laptop lately, but not directly on it.

We have SAS 9.1 on our main Sun machine on campus that hosts our e-mail, etc.

You can easily ssh in.
    Code:
    %ssh -X user@host.host.whatever
    Allow your X server to allow the connection from the remote host (type this on your local machine).
    Code:
    %xhost+
    Doing this and using knetworkattach to attach to my remote account the work is pretty much seamless.
    Earlycj5

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I use R too, and recommend it (and Ubuntu, LaTeX, etc) to any of my fellow PhD students who will listen.

I had one mild problem installing extra packages in R - the command in R to install packages doesn't work if you are running R as a normal user (you don't have permissions).

If a package is in the repositories, no problem - Symantec is my friend.

If it's not in the repositories, the R command to install packages is

> install.packages("...")

entered during an R session.

But if you want to install a package on the system (not just in your home directory), you need super-user privileges. So rather than starting R the normal way:

$ R

you need to start it as an administrator:

$ sudo R

Then you run install.packages(), exit R, re-enter as a normal user, and all is well.

Also, I'd add Harald Baayen's book Analysing Linguistic Data: A practical introduction to statistics - almost out, but available here as a draft: http://www.ualberta.ca/~baayen/publi...enCUPstats.pdf

It's written for linguists, with worked examples available as an R package, and every step explained (including exact commands) in the text.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast