Thread: how to enter a char " ñ " in Ubuntu. it doest accept ALT+164 / 165

Beans

how to enter a char " ñ " in Ubuntu. it doest accept ALT+164 / 165

When I hold ALT then Numeric Pad, ASCII char doesn't work? does anybody knows about this?

how to enter a char " ñ " in Ubuntu. it doest accept ALT+164 / 165

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: how to enter a char " ñ " in Ubuntu. it doest accept ALT+164 / 165

Quote Originally Posted by rybaxs View Post
    When I hold ALT then Numeric Pad, ASCII char doesn't work? does anybody knows about this?
    This is Ubuntu, not Windows. The Compose key is your friend.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you are using a US style keyboard, then you can set up an alternate keyboard layout that you can switch to.

Select System > Preferences > Keyboard. This will give you a panel similar to the screenshot (attached).

Once you have the Keyboard Preferences, select the Add button, and add the keyboard layout (US International with Dead Keys).

When the keyboard layout is added, then you can add the keyboard indicator to one of your panels (right click on the panel, select Add to Panel, and choose Keyboard Indicator from the list). To switch, click on the keyboard indicator on the panel. Each click on the keyboard indicator will cycle through the keyboard layouts that you identified.

To type ñ, type the tilde (~) first, followed by the n key in the international keyboard. If you want to type just the tilde in the International keyboard, type the tilde (~) followed by the space bar.

I use the USA keyboard for English and the US International with Dead Keys for French and Portuguese. By the way, if you ever have to type a ç character, use the ALT+comma key.

Hope this helps,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Always take the high road! That way, nothing will hit you when the brown, gooey stuff hits the fan."
    Additional setup for Ubuntu 14.04: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/fballem/Software%2014.04

Beans

thanks,. i think i need the manuals..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Thanks a lot I had the same problems since my keyboard is in english but I also have to type in spanish.
    What I did was this
    I chose a new layout called "USA International (AltGr Dead Keys)" and then in other options in Third Level Choosers I assigned a key to use as the AltGr key (in my case the right WIN key) and voula!! just type the AltGr key and the key you want to modify for example AltGr + n = ñ or AltGr + a = á.
    For a complete layout you can choose Print Layout Diagram and check the keys you need.