Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Minimal Ubuntu server

Beans

Re: Minimal Ubuntu server

Good point, I was thinking the same thing (which packages I could remove safely?)

But I had the ubuntu server loaded for testig on my VMware server and took an image from it, so that I could back to that image if i managed to rendered my server unusable, which has happened several times. Then i started taking the big size packages first. Some ones are obvious like wireless, laptop support, and wpaxxx.

But it is, in my case, hit and miss.

if some one could point us to some resource that explains these packages would be great.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

If there is a dependency issue, dpkg will catch it tell you it can't remove the file and it will tell what the dependency is.

If you don't think that you need packages that it depends on, just add them all to the command line.

Generally it fairly easy to pick out the ones that you don't need.

ref: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/minimal
    Last edited by iponeverything; October 3rd, 2008 at 03:11 PM.

Beans

What's the purpose behind having such a small footprint and therefore what benefits are you expecting?

Storage space is cheap nowadays so I'm guessing it's not that?

I'm not sure it will perform any quicker if the running processes aren't too dissimilar to a standard build. These non required processes can be removed but you'll reach a cut off point, and still not have your sub 200MB footprint, so I'm interested to know why the small footprint?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Rich78 View Post
    What's the purpose behind having such a small footprint and therefore what benefits are you expecting?

Storage space is cheap nowadays so I'm guessing it's not that?

I'm not sure it will perform any quicker if the running processes aren't too dissimilar to a standard build. These non required processes can be removed but you'll reach a cut off point, and still not have your sub 200MB footprint, so I'm interested to know why the small footprint?
    He may be running this on an ITX system on a flash card or something along those lines.

IMHO Ubuntu is not a great OS to try to slim down and run with a very small footprint. The BSDs are great for this, or you could run something like Damn small Linux.

-Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net

Hard to find and obsolete PC and server parts. "If we can't find it, it probably doesn't exist"

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by windependence View Post
    He may be running this on an ITX system on a flash card or something along those lines.
    I run Ubuntu 64 bit server from a Compact Flash card. I have not removed anything from the base install. In fact, I added NTP, VSFTPD, ZIP, UNZIP, UPX, BEEP, BUILD-ESSENTIAL and several other packages that I can't recall right now.

The whole thing takes up 638M and it's installed in a 2.0 GB partition on the CF card. There's a ton of room to spare.

I, too, see no reason to try to minimize the footprint... but since the OP asked, obviously he has SOME reason and replying with "why do you want it small" would have been pointless.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blonds, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12