View Poll Results: Do you want Intrepid to change Ubuntu's GNOME main theme?

Voters
363. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I prefer a redesigned Ubuntu

269 74.10%
  • Yes, I will prefer a Ubuntu desktop that looks more like Windows

9 2.48%
  • Nah, I like brown Human

85 23.42%
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Wallpaper and theme complaint megathread

Beans

Re: Do you like the default Brown Theme ?

I am very certain, that the default color scheme of Ubuntu should NOT be changed. Please don't! Why, you ask?

1. Ubuntu has to keep being recognizable among the zoo of user interfaces. You have to recognize it on first sight. With Kubuntu, with it's blue theme, I'm afraid, this is not the case.
    2. There can always be an evolution in the looks (I personally appreciated to move to lighter, more orange colors very much), but it should be done with a certain amount of consistency. A complete switch in the color scheme signifies something completely new - Windows can do that, because they bring out new versions only every couple of years, but Ubuntu is updated much more gradually, every 6 month.
    3. What is - from a distance - recognized as a distinctly good design, normally does not look like what the great majority of people thinks (is made to think?) would be good looking. Example: Since the first iMacs they really had a sense for good design. Remember, when they introduced the first flat-panel iMacs, iBooks and iPods in that glossy white plastic look, everybody else thought (and some still do) that plastic housings had to be silver-colored in order to look like ... silver plastic? Now many other manufacturers try to imitate that (not always with huge success).
    4. I tried other color schemes, but they always made me feel like I was using Windows, MacOS X or SuSE, and I don't want that - especially when I am NOT working with Windows, MacOS or SuSE. So I always came back.

So please, no hasty switches in the Ubuntu color scheme!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Actually, I've been thinking to post a blueprint about this:

Live cd starts, before anything else a dialog appears

It got 4 options in a 2x2 layout (with previos)

"Welcome to Ubuntu 8.04 please pick your prefered layoud"

The options are:

Human gnome . Blubuntu gnome
    Human familiar . Blubuntu familiar

So, you pick blubuntu and you got a blue-theme, should have human's icons but with blue tones, etc.

Now the key is: You pick familiar and it will set the layout to be a single task bar with "ubuntu button" and clock in the right side plus a desktop picker and there will be Computer and trash icons in the desktop.

The problem is that there is an identity with ubuntu's current look and layout, something I am not sure is worth sacrificing for making things easier to users, but this has the potential of being a liked feature, since there will always be people complaining about the brown theme and who think that familiar is friendly (Ask the users that think a KDE distro is friendlier just because it initially looks closer to windows...)
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wladston View Post
    n3tfury, I agree with you. I just think that we should make this procedure easier for the new user, by letting him choose at install time. Most ubuntu users (for example, my mom, and my girlfriend) don't know how to change the theme, or think it's too complicated/difficult.
    I disagree with making the theme an install option. People are worrying about other things, when installing a new operating system. And since Ubuntu is very much known for it's simplicity, every unnecessary install option should be avoided.

But perhaps some more unique, consistent and polished themes could be provided in the theme manager. The themes that can now be found there by default look more like some outdated default Gnome themes rather than some freaky eye-candy Ubuntu-optimized themes.

Beans

i love this topic! we have a 'i hate brown' every week or so

btw i have seen brown cars before, but never a blue background coca-cola logo, a green ferrari or brown heinz beans... why would that be

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Do you like the default Brown Theme ?

The ubuntu community (people using ubuntu for some time) tent to like the brown theme ... but I'm not alone, check out this search : http://www.google.com.br/search?q=ub...+brown+desktop

I'm not saying that we should change to colour X. I'm saying that we need to offer other hi-quality shades, and let the user know of them.

vexorian,

To say the truth, I like the human theme, expect the window decoration... I find it really unpleasant ...

I agree the pool may seen unfair, but I'm trying to put it on the new-comming user point of view. It IS easy to change the theme, but most users don't even know that the theme can be radically changed. The first impression counts much, and Ubuntu should try the best to ensure the first contact makes an impression.

The idea for the blueprint is what I'm thinking about - but maybe with a button - show me more themes - that let's you select green, blue, red, themes, all on the same Ubuntu standard, only changing the shades, and thus preserving the identity for the Ubuntu interface.

Tobias Pistohl,

Well, I think that it's not only the color that makes something distinct, but the design quality, style, and detail. I can VERY clearly differentiate a blue Mercedes from a blue Passat, even if they are on the EXACT same shade...

You should also note that as Ubuntu is going more and more mainstream, it's getting also known for it weird-brown colour scheme. Google can show this. It would take only a few clicks to choose the style that pleases you best, and imho, that would be a really added bonus for ubuntu users, making it look even more simple to use and smart, because the way the interface looks IS relevant to the most majority of users. Some seconds spend picking up the best shades compensates the "hassle" it causes for the user, if you think how happy he should be, thinking he has his very own personalized to his taste Ubuntu look.

Beans
    Hidden!

I put my vote with: I prefer brown

But I think the choice is wrong. It should be "Do you like the brown theme" as per the title of the thread. I still would have choosen that. It's so UN-windows which gives it a 10 in my books.

Besdes, it can be changed if you don't care for it.

Beans

Rui,

Nice you like the topic! I think the important is to discuss and try to implement what is best for the end users. I personally don't hate brown that much I just think that the way Ubuntu looks shouldn't prevent anyone (even a newcommer) from loving Ubuntu.

btw :
    green feraris : http://www.flickr.com/photos/ijsselstein/66534102/
    coca cola logo : I think logos should remain in the same color. Ubuntu logo looks great, I love it!
    beans : In my country, there is a local food called green beans! They take the beans while they are still maturing....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I like the brown, though it looks more orange to me.

Adding an option during install would simply add an irritating step to the install.

Beans

Bruce M.
    Sorry for not keeping up with the post title ... I just wanted to make it more attractive, and see if people like the idea of letting the user know the power of Gnome/Compiz themes while choosing his/her color of preference.

Beans

Irony,
    For you, who loves the brown theme, yeah ... but think about those who don't know about changing themes, and HATE the brown theme, and would be much happier with another shade ...
    For you, it would be just one single "irritating" click, but for a lot of people, it would represent more possibility of choice, personalization, etc..

Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast