View Poll Results: Do you want Intrepid to change Ubuntu's GNOME main theme?

Voters
363. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I prefer a redesigned Ubuntu

    269 74.10%
  • Yes, I will prefer a Ubuntu desktop that looks more like Windows

    9 2.48%
  • Nah, I like brown Human

    85 23.42%
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 496

Thread: Wallpaper and theme complaint megathread

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Beans
    22

    Re: Do you like the default Brown Theme ?

    Guys,

    I'm not here to propose the default color to be changed. I'm here to propose that the user is given a choice to see what colour he likes best on his own desktop .... some of you guys, ubuntu lovers, think that the human theme as it is is fine, but I can guarantee that you are not the majority..... Many people, mostly the people that don't love ubutu yet, people that don't use this forum, find the colour scheme and the title bar really boring and ugly compared to windows, and they think, in consequence, that it's less powerfull than other operating systems. As people said earlier - the first impression counts a lot, and people DO give a lot of importance to the design.


    If you want to see it as a bug, the bug would be - "Ubuntu look is a barrier to the new user"

    or - "most new users aren't satisfied with Ubuntu theme"

    when convincing my girlfriend, that mainly uses the computer for internet and writing papers, to use linux, the most difficult part for her was the brown title bars ...

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Beans
    1,352

    Re: Do you like the default Brown Theme ?

    Quote Originally Posted by wladston View Post
    Guys,

    I'm not here to propose the default color to be changed. I'm here to propose that the user is given a choice to see what colour he likes best on his own desktop .... some of you guys, ubuntu lovers, think that the human theme as it is is fine, but I can guarantee that you are not the majority..... Many people, mostly the people that don't love ubutu yet, people that don't use this forum, find the colour scheme and the title bar really boring and ugly compared to windows, and they think, in consequence, that it's less powerfull than other operating systems. As people said earlier - the first impression counts a lot, and people DO give a lot of importance to the design.


    If you want to see it as a bug, the bug would be - "Ubuntu look is a barrier to the new user"

    or - "most new users aren't satisfied with Ubuntu theme"

    when convincing my girlfriend, that mainly uses the computer for internet and writing papers, to use linux, the most difficult part for her was the brown title bars ...

    I understand your point, but at the same time disagree. Ubuntu is pretty easy to customize and change, easier than windows and most people know how to do that. A beginner also feels accomplished after changing a theme to exactly how they want it, which is a nice feeling after being on Windows Xp.


    Your girlfriend could of easily chose a different window theme like clearlooks, glossy, industrial... and they come pre-installed with the human theme... just like we are suggesting with different color human themes.


    She could of easily gone to System-->Preferences-->--Appearance ...and then... just clicked the easily scene, "Customize.." button, to choose the "Colors" tab, which can change everything. She could even choose the "Window Border" tab to just change the human brown windows...


    While there in the "Customize.." section, you can mix and match your icons, pointers, and gtk themes as well.


    The whole "theme" issue used to be more of a problem back in 6.06, and in distros like xubuntu... Where changing themes as a beginner was still easy, but not customizable like it is now in ubuntu 7.10... installing Beryl was more complicated, and the way to really enjoy unique custom themes was to download a gtk-2.0.tar.gz, unpack it and place it in the correct area... with the correct theme engine installed... now that was difficult for a beginner.


    But don't get me wrong, I agree that there should be at least 5 new gtk themes added to the pre-installed themes. In those 5 new themes, they should all basically be the same theme, with maybe a few differences in the widgets... and they should each have a matching ubuntu wallpaper theme, a matching ubuntu humna icon pack, and a matching glossy panel theme...


    I would suggest that we go with the Orange for default since it's had already been chosen by the developers, then have a Brown, Blue, Green, and Black ubuntu wallpaper with matching human gtk theme available.


    The reason why I suggest that is that when people blog about Ubuntu, and they do all those screenshots that end up on digg and lifehacker, now they can show the screenshots of all the new ubuntu looks and everyone can shut up about the brown wallpaper because it will be one of the five choices shown.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Beans
    22

    Re: Do you like the default Brown Theme ?

    crimesaucer,

    I get your point. But the fact is that most people don't know about themes, and that they can be changed. Ubuntu has no "Features tour", and on windows, changing the theme isn't an easy/common task.

    My gf was amazed when I told her that the colours, tiles, title bars and icons could easily be changed. She looked at me and said - "oh, really" ?

    My mother, who isn't really familiar with a computer, should have a similar vision. The idea is getting the people to know the powerness of Gnome, letting then know how easy it is to change themes.

    A more concrete example - a computer case colour/style can be changed, but if the seller doesn't propose the alternatives at the sell time, most of the guys will stick with the "default" option the seller offer, because they won't know that there are other options.

    When you are with a seller, you can ask "hum... are there other colours available ?" With an oprating system that can't understand the human speech, things can be more difficult, specially for those that don't have experience with computers.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Beans
    1,352

    Re: Do you like the default Brown Theme ?

    Quote Originally Posted by wladston View Post
    crimesaucer,

    I get your point. But the fact is that most people don't know about themes, and that they can be changed. Ubuntu has no "Features tour", and on windows, changing the theme isn't an easy/common task.

    My gf was amazed when I told her that the colours, tiles, title bars and icons could easily be changed. She looked at me and said - "oh, really" ?

    My mother, who isn't really familiar with a computer, should have a similar vision. The idea is getting the people to know the powerness of Gnome, letting then know how easy it is to change themes.

    A more concrete example - a computer case colour/style can be changed, but if the seller doesn't propose the alternatives at the sell time, most of the guys will stick with the "default" option the seller offer, because they won't know that there are other options.

    When you are with a seller, you can ask "hum... are there other colours available ?" With an oprating system that can't understand the human speech, things can be more difficult, specially for those that don't have experience with computers.
    We really are both in agreement on the issue of having more choices, in a way that beginners know about.


    And like I said, ubuntu is easier than windows when it comes to changing themes, a total beginner just needs to see how to do it and then they'll realize how simple it is.


    But you are correct when you say there is no "Features Tour", and maybe there should be something about theme change after the first install, or maybe a selector in the install process...


    Maybe just have the Appearances app open right after the install with a note about how to change the themes/wallpapers/icons... showing them the various choices, while teaching them how to do it their selves.


    ... or have a sticky in the Absolute Beginner section of the Ubuntu Forums with instructions and pictures for theme modification.
    Last edited by crimesaucer; October 26th, 2007 at 08:47 PM.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Germany
    Beans
    22
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

    Re: Do you like the default Brown Theme ?

    Just take a look at Apple's Mac OS X. Hell, they just know how to do it! Imho they have the best artwork around all OS: simple, elegant and yet so stylish! I don't want Ubuntu (Linux) to copy any design from any OS, but the ideas of simplicity, elegance and a modern look and feel should become elementary parts of Ubuntus artwork! Therefore, the default brown scheme is way to boring and looks like 1996 or so. This is the totally opposite to the stylish "bling" effects by Compiz Fusion . My choice of color scheme would definately be something about black/silver, with some nice but discrete milky, glossy and shiny look.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Mexico City
    Beans
    256
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

    Re: Do you like the default Brown Theme ?

    It's true that beauty is subjective.

    However, there are things that people find nice by default.
    I'm studing photo, and you can bet that there are a lot of things people like in common, they may like it less, or more, but they find it enjoyable.

    How do you find those things? There is something called Visual Art Disignerr, which stuided a lot of human expression in a subject called History of Art.

    How many people did you find saying:

    -Mac OS X look sucks and it looks like poo
    -Windows Vista look makes me wanna puke

    Hmm, I bet they won't be many.

    Why? They have nice grpahical designers, while Ubu doesn't. It's that plain simple.
    Last edited by LuisAugusto; October 27th, 2007 at 06:45 AM.
    Introducing KDE 4, mini articles full of screenshots

    I'm Mexican. If you find any mistakes please let me know, you'll help me improve my English. Thanks in advance.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Beans
    75

    Re: Do you like the default Brown Theme ?

    I don't mind the color as much, its different than the other hundreds of linux distro's out there lol..

    but i kinda get the impression that with OS X's blue icons and Vista's fancy ones.. the cartoonish icons of default ubuntu seem somewhat behind.
    they should make the white-glass mouse default.. its pretty sleek lol
    most of this could probably be resolved by packaging ubuntu with more default themes besides clearlooks and some other .. 'meh' themes haha

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Beans
    2,324

    Re: Do you like the default Brown Theme ?

    Quote Originally Posted by LuisAugusto View Post
    It's true that beauty is subjective.

    However, there are things that people find nice by default.
    I'm studing photo, and you can bet that there are a lot of things people like in common, they may like it less, or more, but they find it enjoyable.

    How do you find those things? There is something called Visual Art Disignerr, which stuided a lot of human expression in a subject called History of Art.

    How many people did you find saying:

    -Mac OS X look sucks and it looks like poo
    -Windows Vista look makes me wanna puke

    Hmm, I bet they won't be many.

    Why? They have nice grpahical designers, while Ubu doesn't. It's that plain simple.
    Can you count me?

    MacOS mixed blue crystal with polished metal, is what in my mind should be the decoration of prostitution houses specialized in sado-masochism, frequented by over painted women and over perfumed men wearing too much jewelery buy it and cheap shops of shopping centers.

    Windows Vista looks like a bad and limited compiz theme, altough better then the previous XP, that looked like a retarted tele-tubies show that even children wanna puke.


    Taste is cultivated. Beauty is subjective.
    Graphical designers are not engineers, don't make some calculus with precision, right or wrong. They are just specialized artists with they own taste (the great majority of the ones i know not very good, btw).
    Thats why there are always schools, movements, theories... Try mix Mariscal with Aalto, or put a picture of Cameron in the middle of a Mapplethorpe exhibition... not really good, ah? Are those bad artist? No, they will be only out of context.
    Blue, grey, silver is out of context on an Ubuntu color scheme. Thats all.
    Last edited by Rui Pais; October 27th, 2007 at 11:03 AM.
    ___________________________________
    ESTRAGON: We've lost our rights?

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    England
    Beans
    306

    Re: Do you like the default Brown Theme ?

    I think the brown is fine. It's certainly distinctive.

    What I would absolutely hate is if the theme was changed to blue or black. I am sick to death of OS themes using those colours.

    Blue OS themes in particular are so tired and unimaginative.


  10. #50
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    England
    Beans
    306

    Re: Do you like the default Brown Theme ?

    Quote Originally Posted by LuisAugusto View Post
    How many people did you find saying:

    -Mac OS X look sucks and it looks like poo
    Me, for one.

    I hate the look of Mac OS X.


Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •