View Poll Results: Do you want Intrepid to change Ubuntu's GNOME main theme?

Voters
363. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I prefer a redesigned Ubuntu

269 74.10%
  • Yes, I will prefer a Ubuntu desktop that looks more like Windows

9 2.48%
  • Nah, I like brown Human

85 23.42%
Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 LastLast

Thread: Wallpaper and theme complaint megathread

Beans

Re: Do you want a new theme for Ubuntu 9.04 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Speck View Post
    You mean how desktop icons aren't displayed on the actual desktop anymore?

I hate that.
    I don't like that, either.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by sstusick View Post
    I don't like that, either.
    KDE 4.2 will have the ability to display the contents of the desktop folder (or any other folder) on the desktop.

I'm not liking the new direction of the Oxygen theme and prefer 4.1's better.
    Laptop: [AMD Vision A4-3300M | 8GB RAM | ATI Radeon 6480G | Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit]

Studio Box: [AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ | 4GB RAM | Nvidia 210 | M-Audio FastTrackPro | KXStudio 11.04 64-bit | 2.6.31-rt14-custom | KDE 4.6.5]

Beans

Wink Re: Do you want a new theme for Ubuntu 9.04 ?

Ubuntu could do with a better default look. I agree with comments about how Windows is improving it's look over the years, yet Ubuntu lags behind.

I saw a Mercedes about 15 years old recently, and it reminded me of Ubuntu because it was a quality machine, sure, but looked dated.

I look forward to a new theme - there are some fantastic ones on gnome-art etc, so the human resources are there to make it th envy of other OS's!

Similar threads merged ... yet again. ...
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Fisher View Post
    Yes. It's stagnating.

Here's a question though... How much of this is to do with Ubuntu, and how much is Gnome the real problem? I prefer Gnome to KDE or any other DE/WM, but it basically hasn't really changed in years. New apps have been added to the package, but it's still the same. The only real advances (in appearance) have been with compositing managers and associated apps.

Perhaps, instead of re-thinking the default theme, Ubuntu needs to re-think the whole desktop. I propose that out-of-the-box Ubuntu needs drop-shadows and window animations. The whole "Apps, Places, System" menus need reworking. Transparency can be done well, and should be used. I'd like to see a dock replace one of the panels.

Gnome isn't going anywhere, but it appears that Ubuntu devs are happy to use it without any kind of modification. The only thing that can push the visual appeal of the default Ubuntu desktop is with additional programs providing the eye candy.
    This is a good point. Gnome does need to reworked. I dont know why it hasnt embraced composite manager more it could be very special.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Smile Re: Do you want a new theme for Ubuntu 9.04 ?

Quote Originally Posted by K.Mandla View Post
    Similar threads merged ... yet again. ...
    It just shows how much most ubuntu-ers want change.
    AMD Turion x2 dual core ~2.1GHz | 3GB RAM | 250GB HDD | ATI Radeon Graphics (256MB dedicated) | Windows 7 RC

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sstusick View Post
    Yep, it's terrible. Gnome and KDE needs to come up with their own signature theme.
    It's called Clearlooks.

Quote Originally Posted by davbren View Post
    This is a good point. Gnome does need to reworked. I dont know why it hasnt embraced composite manager more it could be very special.
    Why has no-one heard of GNOME 3.0 in 2010? Also, Metacity has a compositor now.
    Last edited by bruce89; December 1st, 2008 at 02:32 AM.
    A Fedora user

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by inobe View Post
    i don't wanna get into a debate about copying ideas but........ vista is a mac rip !
    I'm not saying Windows didn't incorporate ideas from other operating systems, but I seriously don't see how it got any from Mac...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Does not pass. Simple functionality not good.
    Can't see black writing on brown, nor can you see the light orange on white.
    The window captions look terrible, but okay when not in focus.

The art team would all be getting pay cuts if I were their boss (not that I'd like to be...)
    The basic idea has lots of potential, but doesn't look like it was explored.

If creams, wood textures, transparency, shading and lighting were used more it could have been stunning.

What shocks me is that a non-newbie can very easily improve his theme, but an art department can't??? (Baring in mind that a good default theme is for marketing and for the newbie to like what he sees)

It seams that if Ubuntu fails it will not be from anything technical, but for looking like poo.

People will put up with terrible service and a poor product for years, provided it looks good or there's a hype.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Red face Re: Do you want a new theme for Ubuntu 9.04 ?

Quote Originally Posted by dariusdwtt View Post
    Does not pass. Simple functionality not good.
    Can't see black writing on brown, nor can you see the light orange on white.
    The window captions look terrible, but okay when not in focus.

The art team would all be getting pay cuts if I were their boss (not that I'd like to be...)
    The basic idea has lots of potential, but doesn't look like it was explored.

If creams, wood textures, transparency, shading and lighting were used more it could have been stunning.

What shocks me is that a non-newbie can very easily improve his theme, but an art department can't??? (Baring in mind that a good default theme is for marketing and for the newbie to like what he sees)

It seams that if Ubuntu fails it will not be from anything technical, but for looking like poo.

People will put up with terrible service and a poor product for years, provided it looks good or there's a hype.
    Will you please tell us clearly...
    Controlling complexity is the essence of computer programming. - Brian

Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 LastLast