View Poll Results: Do you want Intrepid to change Ubuntu's GNOME main theme?

Voters
363. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I prefer a redesigned Ubuntu

269 74.10%
  • Yes, I will prefer a Ubuntu desktop that looks more like Windows

9 2.48%
  • Nah, I like brown Human

85 23.42%
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Wallpaper and theme complaint megathread

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Do you like the default Brown Theme ?

I checked out the google search that wladston mentioned and found:

shimon
    March 3rd, 2005, 11:10 AM
    But brown looks like poo...

Yes, but so does a chocolate bar in 35° (C) heat, but I'll still eat it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Wink Re: Do you like the default Brown Theme ?

Im not much for the brown, but no matter the color I wont leave it default anyway

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Yeah, I love the brown theme. I'd rather tweak it a bit and improve it than use another one.
    Dell Inspiron 1501 AMD Turion64x2 1.6GHz, 1.5GB DDR2, Ati Xpress 1150 256MB HyperMemory, 80GB HDD

Beans

I like the brown theme too, though I'd call it "orange" not brown. The one thing I dislike is the shade used for the title bar. Seems a bit...I dunno, "dirty"? IMO it would be better either as a rich chocolate colour, or a brighter orange colour.

PS I also love the shading on the buttons and toolbars, it's like a softer version of the "web 2.0" shiny look. MUCH better that Vista's awful toolbar shading!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by svivian View Post
    I like the brown theme too, though I'd call it "orange" not brown. The one thing I dislike is the shade used for the title bar. Seems a bit...I dunno, "dirty"? IMO it would be better either as a rich chocolate colour, or a brighter orange colour.

PS I also love the shading on the buttons and toolbars, it's like a softer version of the "web 2.0" shiny look. MUCH better that Vista's awful toolbar shading!
    I agree - the window title bar is disgusting. I think moving more towards orange, and keeping hints of *good* shades of brown would be better. At the end of the day, when people look at screenshots of an OS, they will usually be seeing the default appearance. If that appearance is ugly, the majority will be put off, regardless of how good the operating system is.

Number one design fact: NOBODY wants anything that is ugly.

If we have scores of people saying that the default theme looks like poo, then it is clear that we must rethink. The human theme as it is can still be kept as an option (much like *shock* *horror* Microsoft kept their Windows 95/98 'classic' theme as an option in XP and Vista), but we need a new default
    Last edited by CAD-MAN; October 25th, 2007 at 09:24 PM.
    UPDATED>>Check out my Theme and Wallpaper. Both are still in-progress

Not a CAD professional - just an enthusiast

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CAD-MAN View Post
    I agree - the window title bar is disgusting. I think moving more towards orange, and keeping hints of *good* shades of brown would be better. At the end of the day, when people look at screenshots of an OS, they will usually be seeing the default appearance. If that appearance is ugly, the majority will be put off, regardless of how good the operating system is.

Number one design fact: NOBODY wants anything that is ugly.
    Thats not a "fact" by the simple fact that "ugly" it's a personal subjective opinion.
    What some found ugly there are always others who found beauty.
    If we have scores of people saying that the default theme looks like poo, then it is clear that we must rethink. The human theme as it is can still be kept as an option (much like *shock* *horror* Microsoft kept their Windows 95/98 'classic' theme as an option in XP and Vista), but we need a new default
    Scores of this threads on color default always go half/half.
    Brown/orange is one of the brand mark of Ubuntu... change it would be a severe decision as change logo.

On what is brown. Land is brown, the great majority of human people have brown skin (white are a minority in the world), trees trunk are brown.
    Generically speaking the brown is every where around us... if one can only see it in excrement ... well, what can we say?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Rui Pais View Post
    Thats not a "fact" by the simple fact that "ugly" it's a personal subjective opinion.
    What some found ugly there are always others who found beauty.

Scores of this threads on color default always go half/half.
    When things go half/half, this shows that a large amount of people find the theme ugly. Virtually no products ever sell well by being half good. We don't want to be half/half, but with the majority of people saying that they like the theme.

Quote Originally Posted by Rui Pais View Post
    Brown/orange is one of the brand mark of Ubuntu... change it would be a severe decision as change logo.

On what is brown. Land is brown, the great majority of human people have brown skin (white are a minority in the world), trees trunk are brown.
    Generically speaking the brown is every where around us... if one can only see it in excrement ... well, what can we say?
    Exactly - the theme is brown/orange. I think we should lean more towards the orange - it would fit with the logo, and wouldn't remind some people of excrement. This is the plan for Hardy - and I must say, I agree.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=583336

That's a link to a thread in the Hardy forum about the theme. The poll indicates that changes are needed...

P.S. I think there should have been an option in this thread's poll for 'a slight deviation from the brown', or similar.
    Last edited by CAD-MAN; October 25th, 2007 at 10:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Not totally but remember where Ubuntu comes from. Ubuntu is changing the world of computing and it's all free! The best O/S on the planet and the best community.

Brown is an earth tone and I can live with it. Not my favorite default color but I usually hang out in blue Kubuntu or green OpenSUSE.

Screen colors can be changed!
    Billy in Sugar Land Texas USA,
    Xubuntu 10.10.1 on my Dell Mini 9
    Ubuntu 10.10 on the Dell

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I love the title bar.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=583336

That's a link to a thread in the Hardy forum about the theme. The poll indicates that changes are needed...
    The poll indicates that everybody wants their own favorite theme to be default.
    Last edited by vexorian; October 26th, 2007 at 12:35 AM.
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast