Thread: Printing to CUPS server

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Question Printing to CUPS server

Hi All,

I have searched the docs https://help.ubuntu.com/ and google, but most of what I find is about setting up a CUPS server on Ubunutu. I need help printing from Ubuntu to another CUPS server.

I have a little server (a NSLU2) running CUPS and hosting a HP F4180 printer. I can print to it fine in Windows if I install a network printer with the address http://192.168.1.4:631/printers/HPF4180 or http://slug3:631/printers/HPF4180.

I have been unable to print to it at all from the same dual booting computers on Ubuntu Hardy. One of the Printing Admin panels can't find any non-local printers, and frequently locks up when I try to connect to the server or browse for printers. The other computer I tried changing the device URI for that same locally installed printer to the server. When I click browse (or whatever it is), it finds the slug3 server, and seems to connect to the printer, but nothing happens when I try printing with it.

Can anyone give me some pointers or show me a good troubleshooting guide?

Thanks.
    Karmic on Dell Vostro 1500 - Mythbuntu Lucid-upgrade may cause heartburn, ECS 671T-M, Pentium E6500 Dual Core, 2gb, Seagate 320gb SATA, Samsung SATA DVD, ASUS EN8400GS GeForce 512mb, PVR-150 MCE, HVR-1250, Seasonic S12II-330, Lian-Li PC-V300B

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Printing to CUPS server

The Ubuntu wiki here is for HP printers specifically and gives guidence on installing networked printers.
    Good site to search for guides & how-tos.

Beans

Re: Printing to CUPS server

I'm not sure I can be of mulch help. I use Ubuntu to print to Linksys print server.

When I installed the printers, I made use of LPD and for the Device URL I used: lpd://192.168.1.78/L2. L2 is the queue (port) that one of the printers is connected to on the print server. For the other printer, I changed the Device URL to lpd://192.168.1.78/L1.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Question Re: Ubuntu requires HPLIP, and can't print directly to CUPS?

Hi,

Per the wiki, I tried running
    sudo hp-setup

It didn't discover the printer and exited. This is probably because I haven't got HPLIP working on the server connected to the printer, and HPLIP needs to be running on the server and client for this to work? I am currently getting
    "error: HPMUDEXT could not be loaded. Please check HPLIP installation"
    when I run any of the hp-* tools on the server. I am working through this on the NSLU2 forum.

I researched LPD printing on the internet, and it seems you must have the HP tools working on the computer attached to the printer to find the queue name for the LPD URL. Is this true? If there is an alternate way to find the queue name, I could try it.

It seems wierd I can print fine with the printer attached locally to the Ubuntu computer, and I can print fine with the printer on the server using CUPS and Windows as the client, but I can't get the printer to work with CUPS and Ubuntu as the client. Perhaps I don't understand something fundamentally different with the Linux printing infrastructure though.

Thanks.
    Karmic on Dell Vostro 1500 - Mythbuntu Lucid-upgrade may cause heartburn, ECS 671T-M, Pentium E6500 Dual Core, 2gb, Seagate 320gb SATA, Samsung SATA DVD, ASUS EN8400GS GeForce 512mb, PVR-150 MCE, HVR-1250, Seasonic S12II-330, Lian-Li PC-V300B

Beans

Re: Ubuntu requires HPLIP, and can't print directly to CUPS?

Quote Originally Posted by colinnwn View Post
    Hi,

I researched LPD printing on the internet, and it seems you must have the HP tools working on the computer attached to the printer to find the queue name for the LPD URL. Is this true? If there is an alternate way to find the queue name, I could try it.
    I am printing to two HP printers via a Linksys print server. I did not have to do anything with HP tools.

The queue name is is L1 for one port on the print server and L2 for the second port (might have to try l1 or l2, i.e without the capital letter).

So, in your case, if your print server has only one connection to your printer the queue is either L1 or l1; that is the queue name. If your print server had another connection to a different printer, the queue name would be L2 or l2 and so on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Red face Re: I can't believe it was that easy

Man I am red faced I read all those CUPS docs and didn't put this together sooner. But by the same token, I think there is substantial room for improvement in the CUPS docs and Ubuntu Wiki. I am a reasonably savvy computer user and it took me probably 5 hours of research / trial to figure this out.

To print from a Ubuntu client computer to a printer on a server running CUPS, do the following on the client (Ubuntu) computer.

• Click home>add printer
      If at any time you are asked for your username and password, use the same one you use to log onto Ubuntu

• Enter anything you want for the name, location, and description

• Choose http printer

• Select the make and model of your printer or upload the ppd file. This must be a known working combination for your printer.

All done, you should now have this printer installed on your local computer if you go to administration>printing control panel.

It is always best to test the make and model number combination by installing the printer locally on your usb port first. That way you immediately know if it doesn't work you have a CUPS config problem. For example I have a HP F4180 printer, but they don't make a driver for it, I must use the HP F4100 driver.

If you don't know the address to the printer on the server, you can go to http://ServerIP:631/printers to see all the names of available printers.