Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu GTK1.2 Remix

Ubuntu GTK1.2 Remix

Hi. I put together a Hardy live CD (using some of the links in the sticky at the top of this forum, by the way ) that uses only GTK1.2 software, and I thought I'd mention it in case anyone is interested. It's nothing earth-shattering, but if you're working on an old machine that can boot from CD, it might be a curiosity. There are lots of better live CDs out there.

In short, you get IceWM-lite, Dillo, Sylpheed-GTK1, emelFM and gtkedit, with a process viewer and an image viewer. It's exceedingly sparse, but kind of quirky. It's also prewired with some speed tweaks, which is either good or bad.

More information:

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2008/09...u-gtk12-remix/
    http://kmandla.wordpress.com/ubuntu-gtk12-remix/

Don't bother telling me if you don't like it or think it pointless; I made it for me, not you.

On the other hand, if you have a suggestion (outside of changing the theme ... ) I'm willing to listen. Don't expect much though; I'm not in the business of masterminding distros.

Cheers!
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Ubuntu GTK1.2 Remix

Most sub-300MHz computers don't have 128MB RAM, might want to reduce it to 32Mb or 16MB of RAM.
    2010 IBM Thinkpad 510, 4GB RAM, i5-540M, NVS 3100M

Running Ubuntu 11.04

Good point. I was eyeballing those numbers against that 450Mhz machine I used to experiment upon, and it had 256Mb. But you're right, that was probably an upgrade. Thanks!

Beans

*downloads* Can't wait to test this out, it looks very interesting

Don't get too excited. It's not that great ...

I've found a few rough edges that I need to fix this weekend, but other than that it seems to work fine for the few people that have given me feedback. If you do try it, at least tell me if it worked.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Works fabulously! Whatever "rough edges" might exists, I haven't really found any to complain about. I was wondering when somebody would come along and do this. I never had the time myself, and I'm glad this remix exists. Thanks!
    Spiralinear: Humanity & Machines
    RUNNING: Fedora | FreeBSD | Windows 7

Beans
    Distro

Has anyone tested this out on a reaaaalllllllyyyyyyy old computer yet? Like a Pentium I?
    If it works under 32MB RAM, please say so.

Running Ubuntu 11.04

Beans

earlier when i tested it on virtualbox while installing ubiquity xorg freaked out, but i fixed it by switching ttys, then while trying to start ubiquity i got a error, i think it was related to python.. Other then that it looks great

good job K.Mandla

Quote Originally Posted by zmjjmz View Post
    Has anyone tested this out on a reaaaalllllllyyyyyyy old computer yet? Like a Pentium I?
    I'm not sure... but I have a friend who just got a old computer 128mbs of ram, it can only do dial up networking.. its that old, it might be a pentium I or II, I'll find out and give it a shot
    Last edited by chris4585; October 1st, 2008 at 04:08 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Ubiquity prolly won't run on something that old...
    K.Mandla, do you have any plans on making it possible to install it via the alternate installer?

Running Ubuntu 11.04

Quote Originally Posted by chris4585 View Post
    earlier when i tested it on virtualbox while installing ubiquity xorg freaked out, but i fixed it by switching ttys, then while trying to start ubiquity i got a error, i think it was related to python.. Other then that it looks great
    Okay, thanks for that. I hadn't fully installed from the CD yet, just started ubiquity to make sure it was working from the live environment. (I didn't want to overwrite the installation I used to make it, in case I wanted to change something. ) I'll push a little farther into that and make sure it really works.
    good job K.Mandla
    Thanks! I'm pleased you liked it.
    I'm not sure... but I have a friend who just got a old computer 128mbs of ram, it can only do dial up networking.. its that old, it might be a pentium I or II, I'll find out and give it a shot
    Just a note, I pulled most of the sub-packages that control things like ppp, wireless and so forth. If you wait a few days, I'll rework it so some of those fundamentals are still in place.

I know that sounds rather drastic, but since it was really only for my own use, I didn't have a need for modems, wireless, etc. Probably not a wise move in retrospect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorivenul View Post
    Works fabulously! Whatever "rough edges" might exists, I haven't really found any to complain about. I was wondering when somebody would come along and do this. I never had the time myself, and I'm glad this remix exists. Thanks!
    Wow, you're welcome!
    I'd be curious too. If you've got a machine that will scrape the bottom, tell me if it performs like crap. Crap is not part of the plan, but it's always possible to end up there.
    K.Mandla, do you have any plans on making it possible to install it via the alternate installer?
    I didn't, but if it turns out to be something of use, I'll make a point of learning how.

Thanks again for all the positive feedback. Negative feedback ... well, I suppose you can tell me that too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast