Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ubuntu GTK1.2 Remix

Re: Ubuntu GTK1.2 Remix

Okay, I've tried three times now to get the Ubiquity installer working, and for whatever reason it just doesn't want to play along. So I'm planning on changing direction slightly, and repacking an alternate install CD image over this method.

On the other hand, I updated the ISO last night and re-uploaded it, this time with Beaver, XPaint, XFig and Ghostview on board as well. I playtested it on my 550Mhz Celeron, and I was quite pleased with the way it performed. It's a shame it can't be installed from that image because it would have been interesting to see it without the CD lag.

If you'd like to take a crack at it, please download the fresh image and toss out the old one. I'm not tacking on version numbers since I don't expect there to be much need for updates; updating between releases would be the only requirement, and that should be handled through the standard methods. And since most of those programs are unlikely to be updated, the software you get when you start it up is probably the freshest it will ever be.

Thanks for the feedback and tips; it might take me a little while, but I'm set on recreating this in an installable form. Cheers!
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thanks for the update! I plan on grabbing the updated image soon.
    Spiralinear: Humanity & Machines
    RUNNING: Fedora | FreeBSD | Windows 7

Cool. Note that I used an account on Filefront as a mirror; I don't know if it's faster, but at least you don't have to rename the ISO.

Sorry you can't install it. If you manage to get that working, let me know.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by K.Mandla View Post
    Sorry you can't install it. If you manage to get that working, let me know.
    I'm sure there's some workaround that can be done that doesn't even involve an installer. I think kagashe has one posted somewhere on here that may work until an install function gets worked out. I'll try to find it.

EDIT: Found the post. I realize the specific one deals with DeLi, but it could easily become a workaround until the installation woes can be resolved.
    Last edited by Sorivenul; October 5th, 2008 at 01:10 AM.
    Spiralinear: Humanity & Machines
    RUNNING: Fedora | FreeBSD | Windows 7

Finally, after weeks of smacking my head against three different LCDs, I have a script and an ISO that will install this thing, with a relatively narrow margin of error. I've built and rebuilt it on my end at least six or seven times on two different systems, and it seems to be working.

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/ubuntu-gtk12-remix/

If anyone is interested, or if anyone would be so kind, please give it a whirl on an old machine and tell me how it goes. I've done rock-bottom installs on machines as slow as a 550Mhz Celeron, and it seems to handle well. I'd be curious to see how an even-slower machine takes it.

If you're worried about a machine that can't handle the graphical requirements in a live environment, you should (I have to say should, of course) be able to boot to a terminal prompt and run the install script from there.

Thanks again to zmjjmz for pointing out the inxtaller script; that ended up working perfectly, with a day's worth of nudging.

Cheers all!

Beans

The inxtaller couldn't handle partitions and generally assumes it'll take the whole HD. I'm guess it's still the case here?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sertse View Post
    The inxtaller couldn't handle partitions and generally assumes it'll take the whole HD. I'm guess it's still the case here?
    more than likely, sertse my variant of the inxtaller (installplus) is the same way.

found here http://boxbuntu.com/downloads/Scripts/installplus

if anyone is interested

there's a few things you have to change though, contact me if you are

I took a while editing the script so I'm pretty proud of it

Quote Originally Posted by sertse View Post
    Yup. You could probably hand-adjust it to work around other partitions and create some kind of dual boot, but that's not something I'm interested in doing. It's GPLv3; someone else can add that.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123