Okay, I've tried three times now to get the Ubiquity installer working, and for whatever reason it just doesn't want to play along. So I'm planning on changing direction slightly, and repacking an alternate install CD image over this method.

On the other hand, I updated the ISO last night and re-uploaded it, this time with Beaver, XPaint, XFig and Ghostview on board as well. I playtested it on my 550Mhz Celeron, and I was quite pleased with the way it performed. It's a shame it can't be installed from that image because it would have been interesting to see it without the CD lag.

If you'd like to take a crack at it, please download the fresh image and toss out the old one. I'm not tacking on version numbers since I don't expect there to be much need for updates; updating between releases would be the only requirement, and that should be handled through the standard methods. And since most of those programs are unlikely to be updated, the software you get when you start it up is probably the freshest it will ever be.

Thanks for the feedback and tips; it might take me a little while, but I'm set on recreating this in an installable form. Cheers!