Thread: [SOLVED] kernel upgrades

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

[SOLVED] kernel upgrades

Hi
    I am unable to run any kernel higher than 2.6.24-17 Any higher number kernel fails to install properly and I lose screen resolution, or there is an error message.
    Any ideas? Does this matter at all? What could be causing it?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by ant1060; October 19th, 2008 at 07:46 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: kernel upgrades

Loosing screen resolution or getting errors doesn't necessarily mean the new kernel is not running. Are you trying to compile your own kernel? What errors do you get?

Beans

This can maybe be useful to you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks : I am trying to build the new kernel using Kernelcheck now. The process takes 2-4 hours!! Will post the outcome. Thanks again

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

As promised : Kernelcheck worked fine, but was very slow (it took all night to complete the upgrade to 2.6.25.5-ultimate).

HOWEVER there were the following problems after reboot :

1) no wireless connection at all - no wifi light - nothing at all
    2) no sound of any kind
    3) the nvidia proprietary driver had been disabled - I could not reinstall it and reconfiguring the x-server produced ONLY a low resolution basic screen which I could not change
    4) my native Belgian French keyboard was no longer recognised and I had to try and remember where the w, q, a, z and hyphens, commas etc were on a US keyboard so I could log on

So, in the end I had to give up again and have reverted once more to the trusty 2.6.24-17-generic kernel - the starting point of my thread. BTW, I had to replace the xconf file with my backups, after reverting, as various keys and touchpad settings no longer worked.

Now, I am afraid what will happen in a few weeks' time when I try and upgrade to 8.10 Intrepid.... Will I be left with an unusable system?

Thanks for any reflections or ideas on this!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Today I had some time free and after about 4 hours' work I managed to get the 2.6.24-21 kernel up and running on my machine
    The key to success was :

1) a cold restart into the -21 kernel which produced a wifi connection after all, from which I was able to run Envy NG to re-install the NVIDIA driver. I had to do this four times in order to eliminate the problems which cropped up. I was not able to get the -19 kernel to work, as not even a cold restart produced a wifi connection and life seemed too short to wrestle with that!

2) allowing the xorg.conf file to be written by NVIDIA using the sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg command, and then tampering with the file until it recognised my native Belgian keyboard, and my Synaptics Touchpad settings (for scrolling down). I was unable to select the correct screen resolution nor save it to xorg.conf (once I had set it manually) through the NVIDIA Xsettings GUI.

Hope this might help someone else.