Thread: Best distro for 192mb laptop

Beans

Best distro for 192mb laptop

My mum has got some old laptop from her school that need window taken off and linux put on!
    They have 192mb ram, and 1.2ghz processor...... xbuntu seem too slow, fluxbuntu only has 1 years worth of updates / support
    (the problem is a maybe moving to Italy for work) so i need something that has updates for years (so teachers can keep update and be easy to use aswel)
    With a distro upgrade every now and again!

What is the best light easy to use distro out there?!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Best distro for 192mb laptop

upgrade the ram to at least 512. then it will run 8.04 fine. otherwise you get to use almost useless versions like puppy linux, or damn small linux.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ibizatunes View Post
    My mum has got some old laptop from her school that need window taken off and linux put on!
    They have 192mb ram, and 1.2ghz processor...... xbuntu seem too slow, fluxbuntu only has 1 years worth of updates / support
    (the problem is a maybe moving to Italy for work) so i need something that has updates for years (so teachers can keep update and be easy to use aswel)

If you really like Xubuntu, but find it a little too slow, here are my suggestions:
    1. RAM upgrade
    2. Try using a lightweight windows manager (Openbox, Fluxbox, IceWM, etc.) over the Xubuntu "core".
    3. Debian + Xfce

I agree that Fluxbuntu is a bad choice if regular updates are important to you. I consider Crunchbang to be "the new Fluxbuntu" (in a good way).

Puppy seems to be very popular these days. I don't have extensive experience with it, but it has a good reputation for being fast on old hardware. DSL and SliTaz are also fast on old hardware, but I would not consider them as easy to use as Puppy.

Good luck!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by ibizatunes View Post

I would look into Zenwalk Linux. It is light and easy t use and will work well with thespecs you have. I use it on a couple laptops and have even run it on older pc's that barely met theminimums and it runs fine. It is Slackware based so it is different that Ubuntu to use. The community is great.

Thereare others that would works also, Like Damn Small Linux, and Puppy Linux to name two.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

AntiX is pretty excellent. IT's really fast, even running from the cd. It recommends 128 Mb for RAM, so you should be just fine. You even have a little left over.

Link:
    http://antix.mepis.org/index.php/Main_Page
    Make sure to use a descriptive title for your threads.
    Registered Ubuntu User #21746
    Not all Who Wander Are Lost . . . . .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I don't agree with oilchangeguy that puppy and damn small linux are useless. Have limited use of puppy and condidering its size (about 87mb), I think it is very good and can do most things. I believe the latest version is compatable with slackware repositories, so it can be built-up to be quite functional.
    Last edited by bumanie; September 29th, 2008 at 07:56 PM.
    Windows is the best virus detector on the market!
    Ubuntu attracts Human Beings - Windows attracts viruses and worms

Beans

Thanks think i will look into zenwalk and antix as they look the best and these are for people not that IT skill and having never touch linux before!
    Thanks

Beans

For obvious reasons I would suggest antiX.

Alternatively, you might like TinyMe and/or Tinyflux (PCLinuxOS based).
    You coul try the latest sidux xfce version or even the kde-lite version. Both will be slow as livecd, but once installed, sidux is fast, even with kde-lite on 192MB RAM.
    Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways - the point is to change it.

antiX "Edelweißpiraten" - lean and mean. http://antix.mepis.com