Thread: PDF creator?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

PDF creator?

Heya I have a Adobe Acrobat Pro on Windows. Since I no longer use windows and currently I had to scan some files I ended up looking for a program that can create pdfs from images in linux. Now I now Xsane has the option of creating a pdf but I'd rather use a program as it has more options, usually. Can anyone suggest such a program?
    Dell Inspiron 6400 - OS's: Debian Etch, Ubuntu, Microsoft WinXP
    CPU: Intel Core Duo T2400 1.83GHz
    VGA: ATI x1400 256MB
    Ram: Samsung 1024MB 533MHz

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: PDF creator?

With Gimp, you can save your images as a postscript file (.ps). Then you can convert them to pdf with the command
    Code:
    ps2pdf image.ps
    It will output image.pdf in the working directory.

As of the options, I don't know exactly what you mean, but I'm pretty sure that you can edit your image to your liking with Gimp before saving it as pdf.

Hope it helps!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Inkscape will also save as PDF. I used that recently to load some old PDFs, edit them a little, and save them as PDF.
    Ubuntu? Eranu!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

scribus is another alternative.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I think convert, a part of ImageMagic, can do that.

Code:
    convert image.jpg image.pdf
    I guess you have loads of options as well.

Beans
    Hidden!

Maybe gscan2pdf is an option

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Quote Originally Posted by KOTAPAKA View Post
    Heya I have a Adobe Acrobat Pro on Windows. Since I no longer use windows and currently I had to scan some files I ended up looking for a program that can create pdfs from images in linux. Now I now Xsane has the option of creating a pdf but I'd rather use a program as it has more options, usually. Can anyone suggest such a program?
    I do that all the time.

As for convenient programs for pdf in Linux we'll probably have to wait a little longer (I believe a lot of work is being done in that area but it just isn't ready yet)

I use kooka for scanning but I guess sane is just as good (had some trouble with it initially, tried kooka and stayed there). Then I use imagemagick to treat the scanned images and finally I stitch them together with pdftk.

As I write this I realize how geeky this approach is so it may not suit your needs but anyway it works great.

I've made a script that assumes you have a series of double page scans, scanned to bmp-files. They are first split into individual pages and then put together in a full pdf document. It's well documented otherwise I wouldn't remember myself what it's doing.
    Attached Files Attached Files