Thread: Watch Hulu from outside the US.

Beans

Watch Hulu from outside the US.

Hi, I'm using Ubuntu Hardy and I'd like to watch videos on Hulu.com. The problem is that I live in Canada and as you know, Hulu is US only. I've used Hostapot shield to access Hulu from a Mac but there is no Linux version available. I'm generally terrible with the Internet so is there some very easy to set up VPN client for Ubuntu, or could I do something with the Network Proxy option in the Ubuntu preferences menu? Also, my internet connection goes through a router.

Thanks in advance.

Beans

Re: Watch Hulu from outside the US.

I would also like to do this, anyone recomend a simple way to do this?

I really want to be able to listen/watch BBC iPlayer content...

Thanks!

Beans

Find an American proxy.

In firefox, somewhere under preferences you can enter the proxy information.

--

I'm pretty sure, if the public proxy allows flash content, it will be slow as hell.

There are some other possibilities, but they will cost money.

It would be better to search for videos on sites like alluc.org or use torrents instead.

You can stream torrent now instead of having to download them (if there are enough seeders/leechers).

http://torrentfreak.com/streaming-an...ts-in-firefox/

Beans

Proxy is not a good idea, its slow and NEVER works.
    Forget it!
    The windows solution for this is HotSpot Shield, but it probably wont work with wine.
    Other then that I have no idea,
    maybe ssh to and american IP and forward requests there, ubuntu will work best for this option.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I am also interested in this question. I just moved to Hungary (from NYC) and even Hotspot Shield won't work because Hulu recognizes this as a proxy. I've heard of things such as Strong VPN etc.. but I'm not sure I'd spend money on anything before I knew if it worked or not first.

I'm on a Mac, and left my Linux box back in the States, but would build another one if I could get Hulu.com to work.

Doug

Beans

What you could do is to grab the ip address of an American proxy server from here: http://www.samair.ru/proxy/type-19.htm
    Then in Firefox go to edit -> preferences -> advanced -> network -> settings
    and then choose manual proxy configuration and enter the proxy ip and the port no in the respective fields (the port in the no. after the colon)
    Click on OK and then close and then you are good to go.
    I've no idea if Hulu implements any kind of restrictions for proxy servers, however this is the method I use to listen to footy in the UK and it works fine.
    Hope that helps