Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Instant Oatmeal... What is the point?!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Instant Oatmeal... What is the point?!

I asked specifically for rolled oats, with the small reminder that it is for oatmeal.

I ended up with twelve packets of instant oatmeal.

This stuff confounds me to no end! The packet still requires me to boil water or run the microwave for a few minutes. I am given no control over proportions; it's just a single size of packet, designed strictly for personal use, but also a bit too small for that. The oats have no cohesion; molding the stuff into mountains surrounded by milk / cream is part of the charm! It is also not very tasty.

REAL oatmeal is a good breakfast because it is simple, too. Just boil water, add oats and cook for a few minutes. (You choose how long to cook them, and creaminess changes as a result). There is also *GASP* control over proportions! I can easily make real oatmeal to satisfy when I am really hungry, slightly hungry or feeding a group of people. It is also considerably tastier, since the oats actually have a flavour. One could probably package some uninjured rolled oats as "instant oatmeal" and have people fooled.

Overall, I bet the instant oatmeal took more of my time and energy. It was not as nutritious (which means I will probably get tired earlier today), it only took five minutes less to cook, and it was not tasty thus requiring that I poke around further for good things to eat so I could enter the day feeling that I had a good breakfast. It also led to me needing to write this message, which has taken at least the five minutes I would have spent simply making good oatmeal.

This has me deeply concerned. Why is it that instant oatmeal is so popular. Why does it even EXIST?!
    I fear that instant oatmeal is replacing real oatmeal in the minds of the general populace, giving the breakfast a bad name as a whole. That I ended up with these packets is a travesty.

All they have to do is infect innocent people's minds with "instant oats for cookies" (using the confoundingly small ones instead of the big ones), and they will have won.
    We must stand united! We must put an end to instant oatmeal before it ruins us all!
    Last edited by Mr. Picklesworth; September 27th, 2008 at 07:59 PM.

Beans

Re: Instant Oatmeal... What is the point?!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Picklesworth View Post
    I asked specifically for rolled oats, with the small reminder that it is for oatmeal.

I ended up with twelve packets of instant oatmeal.

This stuff confounds me to no end! The packet still requires me to boil water or run the microwave for a few minutes. I am given no control over proportions; it's just a single size of packet, designed strictly for personal use, but also a bit too small for that. The oats have no cohesion; molding the stuff into mountains surrounded by milk / cream is part of the charm! It is also not very tasty.

REAL oatmeal is a good breakfast because it is simple, too. Just boil water, add oats and cook for a few minutes. (You choose how long to cook them, and creaminess changes as a result). There is also *GASP* control over proportions! I can easily make real oatmeal to satisfy when I am really hungry, slightly hungry or feeding a group of people. It is also considerably tastier, since the oats actually have a flavour.

Overall, I bet the instant oatmeal took more of my time and energy. It was not as nutritious (which means I will probably get tired earlier today), it only took five minutes less to cook, and it was not tasty thus requiring that I poke around further for good things to eat so I could enter the day feeling that I had a good breakfast. It also led to me needing to write this message, which has taken at least the five minutes I would have spent simply making good oatmeal.

This has me deeply concerned. Why is it that instant oatmeal is so popular. Why does it even EXIST?!
    I fear that instant oatmeal is replacing real oatmeal in the minds of the general populace, giving the breakfast a bad name as a whole. That I ended up with these packets is a travesty.

We must stand united! We must put an end to instant oatmeal before it ruins us all!
    i completely agree
    Quote Originally Posted by nathangrubb View Post
    Yeah, refrigerators are pretty disappointing
    instant oatmeal killed my wife and children
    Quote Originally Posted by etnlIcarus View Post
    Stop hatin' on the wang, man.
    TWITTER!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Why does it even EXIST?!
    Your Kidding right??
    http://www.ciao.co.uk/Scotts_Porage_...Review_5158627

Food of the gods laddie/lassie

EDIT; I see now it`s that bogus stuff you mean.I was a little distracted there.
    Last edited by xpod; September 27th, 2008 at 08:03 PM.
    http://ubuntuclips.org/videos/4

For the lazy readers

Beans

I love instant oatmeal. My house has one of those faucets that puts out 190ᵒ F water, so it really is an instant bowl of delight.

-grubby is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans
    Hidden!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I love instant oatmeal. My house has one of those faucets that puts out 190ᵒ F water, so it really is an instant bowl of delight.
    I dont know what the waters like where you are but here in London i would`nt dream of using direct water out of any of the faucets/taps for anything like that.Back home in Scotland mabey but not down here.
    Besides,i like to stand at the hob for 5 minutes cooking my oats

For the lazy readers

Beans

keep it coming nathangrubb. perfect sig right there
    Yeah, refrigerators are pretty disappointing
    Quote Originally Posted by etnlIcarus View Post
    Stop hatin' on the wang, man.
    TWITTER!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

To the contrary,my wife and children threaten to kill me when i offer to make them all some porridge oats.

For the lazy readers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by myusername View Post
    One of my friends is a genius at generating total nonsense and non-topic comments and answers. I can give you his skype address, if you want to, and If I get his permission to publish his personal data.
    Originally Posted by rugbert
    Are there any plans to make it not suck so hard any time soon?
    ROFL!

-grubby is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by myusername View Post
    I hit myself on the head with your signature. I'm suing

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast