Thread: [SOLVED] windows users to access ubuntu shared folders

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

[SOLVED] windows users to access ubuntu shared folders

Hi I been all around samba tutorials and forum threads.
    I have samba set up on my Ubuntu PC I can see Wifeys Xp shares and can access them fine. Wifeys Xp can see my shares but can't access them. I have set up a network user on samba by following tutorials, when i try to connect as that user it tells me that user is already connected which is the same as I get get when I try to connect as me (which I expected). I D/L the package which changes the samba.conf in Gnome tried all the options still doesn't work.

I know it's a user/password prob but I need a few pointers to how to solve it.

Thank You in advance
    Linux User# 479698 Ubuntu User# 24230

Xubuntu 20.04 on almost everything

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: windows users to access ubuntu shared folders

I have spent the last few hours adding and removing parameters from my smb.conf still can't get XP machine to log on to this machine. It kepps telling me the share is mapped under a different user name and that it won't allow the same user or more than 1 user to connect to it.

Seeing as I can move files in and out of the XP machine from this machine I will leave it alone for now (If it ain't broke don't fix it). It's working although not perfectly but then nothing is perfect.

I will try to plough through my book and see if I can follow it a bit better now I have played around a bit. I am still very happy with Ubuntu and am going to continue using it. I am also going to stick with Hardy for quite a while.

I am going to mark this thread as solved as I no longer require help on it.

If I have any other problems I know where to come lol
    Linux User# 479698 Ubuntu User# 24230

Xubuntu 20.04 on almost everything