Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free Software alternatives to Exact Audio Copy (EAC)

Beans

Free Software alternatives to Exact Audio Copy (EAC)

What are the free software alternatives to EAC that already offer all of its functionality or aim to do so?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Free Software alternatives to Exact Audio Copy (EAC)

There are lots of CD rippers.

Asunder
    Grip
    Sound Juicer
    K3B
    Brasero
    Abcde

Or use EAC in wine.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The only one aiming the same goal is rubyripper. The problem is cdparanoia needs updating (to bypass cache, C2 support, etc), and most rippers use cdparanoia.
    i5-2500, Asus p8p67le, 8g ddr3, gtx460. Eeepc 701 4g surf.

vm.swappiness=0;noatime,data=writeback;deadline scheduler;preload.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis3 View Post
    The only one aiming the same goal is rubyripper. The problem is cdparanoia needs updating (to bypass cache, C2 support, etc), and most rippers use cdparanoia.
    Is cdparanoia being worked on for that update?

Is rubyripper already stable and supporting all those things?

What does bypassing the cache, C2 support, and whatever else, do?

Beans

Hello? Does anybody know?

Beans

I dunno if you've made a decision yet but rubyripper is the best (most secure and best rip).

I recommend it.

I have no clue about your questions but just use it and if they update it then good.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I used EAC in Wine until I added a second drive, which seems to have made it flakey.

When I'm not using EAC, I use SoundKonverter. But there seems to be a bug where I have to restart the program if I change my destination directory. But it works pretty good
    What do tone deaf singers, floppy drive music, and an old woman dreaming about mashed rodents have in common? They're all on my blog! CHECK IT OUT

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

if you have to ask, are you really sure you want the microscopic differences that exact audio copy gives you over traditional cd rippers?

anyway, i would presume that they are methods of making it so that the audio extracted from teh cd is as accurate as possible. Why people bother with this, i have no clue, since the majority of the human population would not notice the difference between an EAC and some other rip, but thats just me.
    Jabber: markgrandi[at]gmail.com

Beans

I hate shareware but this time I have to say that EAC just kills any competition. It rips on full speed and only on quality concerns lowers drive speed.
    I'm ATM ripping a very badly damaged Audio CD. I couldn't rip it with cdparanoia for 12 hours so decided to stop before my drive is still functioning. So here is the time to say EAC has an option to let CD drive rest each hour or whatever user configures.

After the rip completes, I'll compare result of cdparanoia and EAC. Will compare how much data roughly is different by different encoding. I do it like:

1. convert track to raw format
    2. base64 encode the track with line wrapping
    3. compare the base64 encoded audio data of the two tracks

That tells me comperaively how different the two tracks are. So far I have found that paranoia mode 3 and mode 0 result in some differences. EAC vs cdparanoia is next to check. Also I'm curious to see how will EAC and paranoia mode 0 compare on the most damaged tracks. As I said couldn't make paranoia mode 3 to complete in a reasonable timeframe with them.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis3 View Post
    When you say rubyripper has the same goal... do you mean the same goal to provide the same quality as EAC does, because at the moment, noone is better than EAC when it comes down to pure control and sound excellence.

Also, how do I make a .deb out of that .tar file...? I don't know how to use source files for installation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast