Thread: [SOLVED] Running kile on ubuntu 8.04 with gnome desktop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

[SOLVED] Running kile on ubuntu 8.04 with gnome desktop

I am a new user of linux and ubuntu. I have a little problem with kile. Whenever I try to run it directly from the Applications->Office->Kile menu, the following warning message appears:

" There was an error setting up inter-process communications for KDE. The message returned by system was: could not open network socket
    please check that the "dcopserver" program is running "

On the other hand, when I run kile on a terminal with the command "sudo kile" it works but at the terminal there is an warning message:

" kbuildsycoca running...
    kio (KMimeType): WARNING: KServiceType:ffers : servicetype ThumbCreator not found
    kile: ERROR: Could not create symlink: /home/bulent/.lyx/lyxpipe.in --> /home/bulent/.kde/tmp-bulent-laptop/kileYq8tLB/.lyx/lyxpipe.in
    kile: ERROR: Could not create symlink: /home/bulent/.lyx/lyxpipe.out --> /home/bulent/.kde/tmp-bulent-laptop/kileYq8tLB/.lyx/lyxpipe.out
    kdecore (KProcess): WARNING: _attachPty() 13 "

My question is how can I make ubuntu run kile directly from the desktop menu?

Thank you

Beans

Re: Running kile on ubuntu 8.04 with gnome desktop

Open a terminal and type

Code:
    sudo chown -Rc user:user /home/user/.kde*
    where "user" is your username. And of course enter your password.

when I run kile on a terminal with the command "sudo kile" it works but at the terminal there is an warning message:
    There is a good chance the command sudo kile caused your problem, it is not a good idea to open GUI applications with sudo. Use gksudo kile instead.
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible. Ram Dass

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thank you, the problem was resolved.

Beans

Hey that is great and I am glad it wasn't some more complex problem. you can mark this as solved now if you will, it makes the forums easier to use for those of us trying to help. (click on thread tools above to do that).
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible. Ram Dass