Thread: Basic VAIO laptops

Beans

Basic VAIO laptops

I want to buy a new laptop. My first choice: Sony VAIO VGN NR430D or NR460D or NR498D.
    Does anybody know how those are Linux friendly (wireless a must)?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Basic VAIO laptops

You should know you wont be able to control backlight intensity, if you have nvidia chipset integrated. For intel card, you can, but it is not supported out of the box in ubuntu, you have to make it working yourself.

If you want well working wireless, i think easier way is intel wifi. iwl4965 has some problems, but should work in recent hardy, fully updated, well.

Sony Vaio models are different, there is better or worse support for its features like hotkeys, but differs from model to model.

YMMW.
    --
    Petr Mensik
    XMPP/Jabber: pihhan@jabber.cipis.net

Beans

Finally I bought VAIO VGN NR430D for CAD $600 (cheapest), unfortunately with MStax - vista home premium. I wiped it with Gparted and installed Hardy. It runs just perfect right from box while vista (if dual boot) requires download of tons of sony drivers, otherwise 800x600, no sound, no wireless although everything is from Intel there.
    The only problem I see is too sensitive mousepad (under Hardy): sometimes it opens/closes whatever even without clicking...something to work around

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have a VGN-NR385E and everything worked out of the box except for screen brightness control. I also had a problem with the touchpad being too sensitive: switching the active viewport by the slightest of errant fingerstrokes to the right side. Running the latest Intrepid beta.