Thread: [SOLVED] After reinstalling Ubuntu, how to preserve up/down torrents on ktorrent?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

[SOLVED] After reinstalling Ubuntu, how to preserve up/down torrents on ktorrent?

I am planning to change my dual-boot partitions/hard drive setup and have to reinstall Windows and Ubuntu.

However, I want ktorrent to "remember" all of my torrents being uploaded and downloaded so that when I reinstall, I just have to install ktorrent and everything will be the same as before.

It seems that all the info is being stored in /home/[myname]/.kde/share/apps/ktorrent/

I wonder if I just copy my whole home folder and put it back as was, will it work? Are all the settings/info in there?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: After reinstalling Ubuntu, how to preserve up/down torrents on ktorrent?

I wonder if I just copy my whole home folder and put it back as was, will it work? Are all the settings/info in there?
    Yes, that *should* work, as long as both the torrented files and the torrent data itself are in that directory.

In fact, since you're reinstalling Ubuntu, you may want to consider creating a separate partition for /home. This makes it really easy to preserve all of your personal settings even if you reinstall Ubuntu completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yeah, I've thought about doing that back when aysiu wrote it up. Never got around to it.

Well, I'm still looking for confirmation from someone but knowing me, I will just go ahead and do the reinstall and face the consequences later.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well, it worked!

Just to be clear:
    I reinstalled ubuntu and then installed ktorrent. I copied over all my torrents (all in a folder called "torrents" where ktorrent was previously configured to download/upload to/from) and then, I copied over the .kde directory in the home folder and replaced anything it asked me for.

I loaded up ktorrent and it started with all my uploads/downloads as it was before.

Hope this can help someone else.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well, it worked!

Just to be clear:
    I reinstalled ubuntu and then installed ktorrent. I copied over all my torrents to the same location as before (all in a folder called "torrents" where ktorrent was previously configured to download/upload to/from) and then, I copied over the .kde directory into the home folder and replaced anything it asked me for.

I loaded up ktorrent and it started with all my uploads/downloads as it was before.

Hope this can help someone else.