Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: just got a new laptop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: just got a new laptop

For KDE environment,in my opinion the best option is OpenSUSE but won't say kubuntu is as good as other top kde based distros.

ubuntu surely rules the roost with gnome!
    You came empty handed, that is how you shall leave. Whatever you claim as yours today, belonged to someone else yesterday, will be someone else's tomorrow. This false happiness is the true cause of your sorrows!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by WWSmith36 View Post
    You definately want to go with Ubuntu or Kubuntu if you are really hooked on kde.

1) Debian base systems are better than Red Hat based systems
    2) There 100 times more support for Ubuntu

If you have a problem......No one will listen.

Think about it.......
    I would not use Kubuntu if I liked KDE. Kubuntu is one of the crappiest KDE implementations out there. If one likes kde then the best kde out there would have to be kdemod.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by ukripper View Post
    For KDE environment,in my opinion the best option is OpenSUSE but won't say kubuntu is as good as other top kde based distros.

ubuntu surely rules the roost with gnome!
    OpenSuse it's a good choice, even if I find it somehow slower than Mandriva (especially because of Yast, compared with Drak)
    The limits of my language mean the limits of my world

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by karellen View Post
    OpenSuse it's a good choice, even if I find it somehow slower than Mandriva (especially because of Yast, compared with Drak)
    package management is better in OSUSE 11 compared to Mandriva for me, just from my personal experience.
    You came empty handed, that is how you shall leave. Whatever you claim as yours today, belonged to someone else yesterday, will be someone else's tomorrow. This false happiness is the true cause of your sorrows!

Beans

I've seen karellen lurk around in the "Other OS talk" subforums for ages now. I'm sure he knows what to install, and whats best for him

You definately want to go with Ubuntu or Kubuntu if you are really hooked on kde.

1) Debian base systems are better than Red Hat based systems
    2) There 100 times more support for Ubuntu

If you have a problem......No one will listen.

Think about it.......
    That's a load of bull. (And for your information, i primarily use ubuntu, and always have).

I recommend you to go with ubuntu from once. Its easier. Simpler. I would remove the virus as well. Mandriva is just horrible compared to ubuntu
    What virus?
    And last of all, about mandriva beeing horrible, that is your oppinion, and not something commonly agreed upon.
    - "though It seems that I know that I know, what I would like to see Is the I that sees me, when I know that I know that I know" / Alan Watts

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Congratulations! Before you go and do a dual boot install. Run the LIVE CD first and make sure everything works ...then do the install. Personally I would go with Ubuntu or Linux Mint. Let us know how it all works out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by I-75 View Post
    Congratulations! Before you go and do a dual boot install. Run the LIVE CD first and make sure everything works ...then do the install. Personally I would go with Ubuntu or Linux Mint. Let us know how it all works out.
    thanks for the patience and good suggestions. I'll run Hardy and Mandriva's Live CDs tomorrow morning . I'm pretty sure there'll be no problems whatsoever
    now, movie time
    The limits of my language mean the limits of my world

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12