Thread: Wish to say hello from Princeton, In

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Smile Wish to say hello from Princeton, In

Running Dapper, slowly learning only find myself using windows when I asolutely have to. And especially like using text only browser. Go Ubuntu-
    and Hello everyone

Beans

Re: Wish to say hello from Princeton, In

@warped4sure:

Hello!

Do you mean lynx? I work on the command-line a lot myself—I'm a system administrator—and I'm sorry to say I've yet to learn my way around lynx much. It's been on my to do list for a while, now.

Keep having fun!

P.S. Might I ask why you're sticking with Dapper?

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Hello Simon,
    Yes I have lynx installed and use it some, but I use ELinks more often likely because Im new and I got a little bit of a "handle" on it without reading any docs for it. Seemed friendlier to use, maybe I need to graduate to lynx if it is more powerfull.
    As to why I am still using Dapper, It worked all my hardware when installed. I slipped in another hard-drive and installed 8.04 and half my hardware wouldnt work including my old printers. Didnt want to spend any time trying to make it work until this winter perhaps. The only apps I've had to build so far was AptonCd which wasnt/isnt in repository for dapper. That taught me how involved it could be to have all the dependancies. "had to get some of those outside the repos also" But got it working, so Im slowly learning - would be nice to have a mentor occasionly. What you learn the hard way sticks in your mind better perhaps. Hope we have some Princeton area users around that would collaborate on teaching/learning -perhaps if any are around they will join the forum. ---------- Glad to hear from you Simon

BTW I dual boot windows on this machine, but probably dont run windows once a month anymore. My policy on windows has always been dont upgrade more bloat until the bloat you have installed no longer works on too many things

Beans

@warped4sure: I must confess I know little about lynx or elinks. I only mentioned lynx because it's the cli browser I hear most about.

Very strange re: Dapper having better hardware support for you than Hardy, but yeah I definitely understand sticking with what works!

Re: mentoring, ask away when you have questions, it never hurts to ask!

Also, if you're looking for people in your area and you don't find the on the forums , you might want to check out the mailing list.

I myself am more of a mailing list person who tries to occasionally catch up with the forums, and there are a few people who straddle that line leaning one way or the other. There are also quite a few people who do *either* the mailing list *or* the forums, it's possible one of the mailing list people who don't check the forums lives nearby...