Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The name Ubuntu? (outsider perspective)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Cool The name Ubuntu? (outsider perspective)

Hello people. I’m very new to Ubuntu & Linux as a whole, but so far, I’m absolutely in love with the Ubuntu O/S. I really expected the whole process of installation & operation to me more difficult than it has been. That being said, am I alone in just completely disliking the name “Ubuntu?” I understand the whole point of it having an “African” name, but it just sounds like some kind of expensive French pastry dish. Being brand new to the O/S, my opinion is probably not the most valid, but I was just curious if anyone else felt the same way…

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: The name Ubuntu? (outsider perspective)

There have been threads on this before and some people like it, some don't. That pretty much goes for anything really though doesn't it? That's what it's called, and it isn't going to change. I happen to really like the name and find it much more interesting than say 'Windows' or 'PCLinuxOS', plus it sums up the ideals very nicely. My suggestion is to let your good experience with it be more important than what it's called.

Also as a side note, the fact that you're new to the OS doesn't somehow mean you have a less valid opinion.
    Last edited by Ozor Mox; September 24th, 2008 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Rubbish grammar.

Beans

Some people here don't like it, but I think that the majority do.
    The former asjdfwejqrfjcvm msz34rq33
    UbuntuForums member #98464 | Ubuntu Help & Support
    Never run any command unless you understand exactly what it will do. [link]

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by woktrr View Post
    Hello people. I’m very new to Ubuntu & Linux as a whole, but so far, I’m absolutely in love with the Ubuntu O/S. I really expected the whole process of installation & operation to me more difficult than it has been. That being said, am I alone in just completely disliking the name “Ubuntu?” I understand the whole point of it having an “African” name, but it just sounds like some kind of expensive French pastry dish. Being brand new to the O/S, my opinion is probably not the most valid, but I was just curious if anyone else felt the same way…
    I totally agree with it being an ugly name.

I don't know why anyone would think of it as having a French ring to it. It doesn't sound French at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by woktrr View Post
    am I alone in just completely disliking the name “Ubuntu?”
    Nope, it's a terrible name. Although it's a lot more fun to say if you use a deep booming voice. It's a bit like the way the login sound is a lot less naff if you actually do "air cymbals" to the crescendo.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    Nope, it's a terrible name. Although it's a lot more fun to say if you use a deep booming voice. It's a bit like the way the login sound is a lot less naff if you actually do "air cymbals" to the crescendo.
    Hahaha wow, I'm not the only one who does that?!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by billgoldberg View Post
    I don't know why anyone would think of it as having a French ring to it. It doesn't sound French at all.
    I take that back. It sounds like something Sarah Palin should name one of her kids...
    Last edited by woktrr; September 24th, 2008 at 07:15 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Here is an explanation of the word Ubuntu, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_(philosophy). Also Nelson Mandela explains it on a video included on the Ubuntu LiveCD (look in the Examples folder).

I think Ubuntu is the perfect word describe the philosophy behind Ubuntu Linux and the community that has grown around it.
    Mike: "The hardest questions in life are the ones worth answering"
    E-Mail | Blog | Gmail | technoviking on irc.freenode.net, identi.ca , and Twitter

Beans

Really ubuntu to me is a better name then "windows" or "Mac OSX"
    Windows can be broken and apples can rot, but Ubuntu lasts forever
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I love the name, although I usually pronounce it "a bun two".

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast