Thread: [SOLVED] Thunderbird or Evolution

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Post [SOLVED] Thunderbird or Evolution

Hi all,

I am running Ubuntu hardy in my machine. I have not configured any mail client in my machine as am not sure whether to use Thunderbird offered by Mozilla or the Evolution.

1. Evolution is with me by default in the machine as it comes with OS installed. Can you guys guide me in choosing between Thunderbird and Evolution. I also happen to read in this forum that Evolution is giving problem than thunderbird.

2. If Thunderbird is best (hope i can get it installed thru synaptic manager), can i configure thunderbird mail client to my existing gmail account. If it is yes, please help me how to get this done.

Thanks.
    Gopal
    WINDOWS BETTER UBUNTU EXCELS
    Help
    Commands

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Thunderbird or Evolution

Thunderbird integrates very easily into Gmail. I use it exclusively, and yet to have any issues with it.
    Jaunty Jackalope, because we feel bad for that other guy from Full House.

Beans

1. Evolution is with me by default in the machine as it comes with OS installed. Can you guys guide me in choosing between Thunderbird and Evolution. I also happen to read in this forum that Evolution is giving problem than thunderbird.
    I've tried both, and I much prefer Thunderbird... However, it's a personal thing

If you don't really need calendar/scheduling I'd recommend Thunderbird straightaway - Lightning is (may be?) available as a plugin to provide basic calendar functionality.

2. If Thunderbird is best (hope i can get it installed thru synaptic manager), can i configure thunderbird mail client to my existing gmail account. If it is yes, please help me how to get this done.
    Sure can - click on the "Settings" link in GMail, then take a look at the "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" tab - links are available there to the configuration instructions for various email clients...

...interestingly enough, Evolution's not mentioned - what does that tell you?

HTH,

Ross.

Beans

I am new to Ubuntu, have only used it for an hour and a half, but I was able to set Evolution up for gmail and tested sending and receiving with no problems. I went to gmail, opened up settings and help in separate tabs, enabled pop in gmail and then followed the instructions for 'other' mail clients in the help tab. The thing that threw me at first was that there was no place to insert my password, but after I clicked on the send/receive button it prompted me to enter it and... it sent/received.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hi rossad and ruslar,

Thanks for the replies. i would try thunderbird as one of my friend in systems department in my company recommemded me that.

BTW, Brooks - Are you suggesting me to use evolution or wat? am not getting your point clearly or if you are about to ask questions, be more precise.
    Gopal
    Help
    Commands

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hi,

I have installed thunderbird thru synaptic manager and after opening thunderbird for first time am surprised to see the list of options to configure email. i am happy on seeing option "Gmail" and i did. I also enabled "popup mail" option in gmail settings and tested. It works pretty fine. thanks for all who replied. Thanks once again guys for suggesting thunderbird.
    Gopal
    Help
    Commands

Beans

thunderbird works fine. you could try IMAP with Gmail
    [Arch + KDE]