Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tell us what you'd like - Ubuntu-UK Podcast

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Tell us what you'd like - Ubuntu-UK Podcast

As we hit episode 15 of the Ubuntu-UK Podcast, I think that those of us involved in producing it are quite comfortable with the process. But we're in danger of discussing subjects that only we're interested, or involved in which isn't the way it should be.

This has always been a Lo-Co project, but it's hard to get input from those that aren't directly involved. Of course, we've always asked for emails, voicemail, recorded content and anything that anyone in the Lo-Co has to add.

But we've never really asked for that here, so I thought I would.

Let's talk about the Podcast. The product, the content, the format, what do you want to have discussed, what can you contribute, how can you contribute etc etc.

Thanks

Ciemon
    Ubuntu-UK Podcast

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Tell us what you'd like - Ubuntu-UK Podcast

i would like to hear some sort of discussion about bluetooth devices... i never seem to be able to get a bluetooth device to connect without lots of messing about, loading this and that, starting services... until eventually something works. or i give up.

jack

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Not being involved in the technical development, I would like to understand what work goes into making and testing a new version every 6 months. For example:
    Is it getting easier?
    Can certain processes be automated?
    Can some testing be automated?
    What I am trying to get at is it getting easier as time goes on because of lessons learnt previously? Or is it getting more difficult every 6 months?

I don't think I have articulated myself very well here, I hope you understand. Maybe you can interview someone involved in the process.

People complain x,y,z are not implemented in this version, so if people have a feel for the effort involved they may understand the reasons why decisions are made.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

My hat

Beans
    Distro

Smile Re: Tell us what you'd like - Ubuntu-UK Podcast

For me the best parts of the podcast is when you discuss a subject like backing up your data. You put forward different options and highlight the swings and roundabouts of each option. This is particularly useful because of the range of software options available to Linux users.

The recorded interviews with software representatives are interesting but are generally too long and need editing. You don't need to broadcast the whole interview.

I would particularly like to hear about your 8.10 upgrade experiences because mine has been awful.

Muflon
    Dell Inspiron N5110 with a Crucial m4 SSD 128 GB

Beans

I'd like to see some better kind of system to prevent upgrade problems. AFAIK when 8.10 and updates for 8.04 were rolled out recently there were known problems with ATI drivers. These updates were rolled out anyway as "recommended" or "security updates" but broke a lot of people's systems.

This kind of problem should be avoided. If updates have known problems they should be delayed, marked as experimental, or come with warnings, at the very least.
    Abit NForce2 | Athlon XP 2000+ | 1G RAM | ATI 9600GT | | Ubuntu 8.10

Beans
    Distro

A new episode?

Beans

I like it when you cover HOWTO's much like the Linux Reality podcast used to. The interviews sometimes go on too long.

Beans

I'd like to see in-depth briefings on news affecting the entire field of IT, e.g. from hardware vendors to Apple. Softpedia/LinuxToday/Slashdot are very good sources of news.

Beans

Unhappy Re: Tell us what you'd like - Ubuntu-UK Podcast

I'd like to see a podcast that juice (ipodder, really) can cope with. It hits 100% downloaded, but doesn't complete, so each time I log on, it tries to download, again. Or perhaps it's me (but you're the only podcast I'm trying to download that does it). Gave up bothering to download last season, 'cos you wasted too much of my downloading time, but ended up doing a lot of travelling last week and reluctantly put your part finished downloads on my mp3 player and found that, actually, you're not bad. Why not sort it out?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast