Thread: How would I go about editing the CPU scheduler?

Beans

How would I go about editing the CPU scheduler?

How would I go about editing the CPU scheduler in Linux/Ubuntu? Would I have to edit/recompile the kernel, or is there another file which contains the CPU scheduling algorithm? In any case, I'm taking a class on Operating Systems, and I'm curious to get my hands on the code and see for myself what kind of changes I can make. Thanks in advance for your help!

(I am specifically interested in the mid-term scheduler, but if somebody could lead me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.)

-Chris

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: How would I go about editing the CPU scheduler?

Thread moved to Programming Talk.
    Forum Social IRC Channel
    Xubuntu IRC Support
    Xubuntu Support

Please do not PM me about Registration issues without having been asked to. I will tell you to post here

Beans

I recommend reading O'Reilly's "Understanding the Linux Kernel", it's a good read. "Linux Kernel Development" by Robert Love is also fairly decent on the topic. They'll teach you much better than anyone on here could. Kernel development is a big undertaking, and you can't leap into it without first knowing everything you need to know (otherwise, you get PP code and that's never good).

Beans

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a basic understanding of how operating systems work with processes and schedule them. I was just really interested in seeing the actual code for myself.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by gingerkid101 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have a basic understanding of how operating systems work with processes and schedule them. I was just really interested in seeing the actual code for myself.
    get the linux source code (kernel.org is a start, there are also source packages for the one ubuntu uses).
    I am infallible, you should know that by now.
    "My favorite language is call STAR. It's extremely concise. It has exactly one verb '*', which does exactly what I want at the moment." --Larry Wall
    (02:15:31 PM) ***TimToady and snake oil go way back...
    42 lines of Perl - SHI - Home Site

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gingerkid101 View Post
    Again, reading those books will give you a much better overview and a better idea on what you need to edit to get what you want. Jumping into the source code will probably leave you lost and confused (don't take this as a dig at you - the same would apply to anyone asking this question)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TwoEars View Post
    Again, reading those books will give you a much better overview and a better idea on what you need to edit to get what you want. Jumping into the source code will probably leave you lost and confused (don't take this as a dig at you - the same would apply to anyone asking this question)
    Yeah, after seeing it, I see what you mean. I will look into those books when I have some spare time. I'm doing a research paper on cpu scheduling. This thing may be the end of me haha. Thanks for your help again.