Thread: First time attempt at personal web hosting

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Question First time attempt at personal web hosting

It has always been a dream of mine to host a website from my own computer for educational purposes. To learn how to run a server and about basic web design.

I registered a domain name through networksolutions.com and installed the apache web server via the synaptic package manager. I then told network solutions to send traffic to my domain to my ip address.

It worked initially and I found out that my test attempts at going to my site took me to /vars/www/index.html, which is simply a basic html file with the message "it works"

Here's where I need help, I'm hosting my site off of a basic cable connection and my ip address will occasionally change. I've read about dynamic dns and been referred to dyndns.com and ddclient. While reading through the documentation on that site and for that program I got lost.

This is my first attempt at this and I would really appreciate anyone's help who could walk me through the process of setting up dynamic dns or give me some tips to send me in the right direction.

Thankyou,

mike

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: First time attempt at personal web hosting

Just a thought - are you using a router? Instead of using ddclient my Netgear router has a configuration option for the dyndns service. Just entered my dyndns account information into the router and it worked.

I just use one of dyndns free domain names so I'm not much help getting your domain name transfered to dyndns.

Good luck.
    UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn
    SystemRescueCd | Dual Boot | psychocats | FAQ

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'm using a Toshiba Cable Modem PCX2200, it was installed when I bought my internet connection. I just read through the Toshiba manual for the modem and it makes no mention of any ability to customize it whatsoever.

Beans

you could try the no ip PLUS service.. its meant for dynamic ips