Thread: HOWTO: Quickly extract mp3's from music videos on Youtube and enqueue them in Amarok

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

HOWTO: Quickly extract mp3's from music videos on Youtube and enqueue them in Amarok

This script allows you to quickly add Youtube music videos as mp3's to your Amarok playlist. It is a basically a wrapper around ffmpeg and a modified youtube-dl script, but is not required to run in a terminal window.

It is written as bash scripts, and the packaging is my first attempt with debian packaging. Also no-one else has tried it yet so though it works for me, it may or may not work for you!

Install the attached packages in the following order: flv2mp3-zenity, youtubemusic, then press Alt + F2 and run "youtubemusic".

A tip is to add it to a keyboard short cut - I have it on Ctrl + Shift + Alt + Y. I'll probably pop in a .desktop file in future versions - but for now I am all keen on hearing if these scripts even work for you!

Attached are also screen shots of how it all looks like during usage. All feedback is welcome!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-Supply-URL.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	11.8 KB 
ID:	86223   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2-Downloading-Video.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	9.9 KB 
ID:	86224   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3-ConvertingVideoToMp3.png 
Views:	47 
Size:	11.6 KB 
ID:	86225  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: HOWTO: Quickly extract mp3's from music videos on Youtube and enqueue them in Ama

Many thanks for that, yours was the only script that worked for me!

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Quickly extract mp3's from music videos on Youtube and enqueue them in Ama

I could not open the file
    "could not be opened, because the associated helper application does not exist. Change the association in your preferences"
    any tips?
    thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by etrejos View Post
    I could not open the file
    "could not be opened, because the associated helper application does not exist. Change the association in your preferences"
    any tips?
    Yes. This might be a problem with Firefox' setup.

(Unfortunately you can't right-click and "save as" a forum attachment. Are you getting no choice at all as to what to do with the file? It just wants to open it with... GDebi, I presume?)

Open Firefox' "Edit" menu, pick "Preferences", click the "Applications" tab, find the entry "Software Package (application/x-debian-package)", and select it.

The right column should turn into a drop-down list. Open it, and change it to "Always ask".

The next time you click on the attachment, you'll be given a choice: Open the file, or save it. If you save it, you can install it later from wherever you saved it to. A double-click in your filemanager should bring up the correct application.

Or open it, but before click on the drop-down list first next to the "Open with" and pick "Other...". Then "walk" the fileselector to /usr/bin and pick gdebi-gtk or gdebi-kde (whichever you have and prefer, gtk goes better with GNOME or Xfce). Then you can install .deb packages "from the web".

(You "should" actually be able to "teach" Firefox to use gdebi-gtk/-kde in the Preferences/Applications dialogue (mentioned above), but it doesn't seem to work right for me. Hm, well.)
    Last edited by mrowth; March 13th, 2009 at 11:41 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Does this work with amarok2?