Thread: speaking alarm clock

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

speaking alarm clock

Hi,

I'm trying to find an alarm clock that will wake me up by reading today's weather forecast and maybe some headlines.

But I ain't got a clue how to do it, and I'm almost a complete newb.

I found this alarm clock,
    http://www.getdeb.net/app/Alarm+Clock
    but its obviously just the first step.

Is there a programme out there that already does this?
    If not is there a voice reader?
    If there is a voice reader is there a way to compile custom information for it to read?

Hope someone can help,
    P

Beans

Re: speaking alarm clock

One way would be by creating a cron job (man cron) to run a script that downloaded the weather (using wget or something like that) and passed it through festival (Linux text-to-speech).

You might start by figuring out how to use wget to get the text of a weather report, and put that in a script. Then install festival and see if you can make it say what you want. Once you're sure that's working, adding it to cron is pretty easy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I will look into that, but as I'm noob and we're open source... if anyone knows an answer or a part answer, I would love to hear it.

Will start with wget and will keep y'all posted.
    [edit: There's lots of info here
    http://www.gnu.org/software/wget/manual/wget.html
    but I need to know what it is I'm trying to find to put it to use]

Accuweather is next

Is there another place that might be a resource for this?
    Last edited by skiwithpete; September 24th, 2008 at 05:24 PM.

Beans

If you're in the US, forecast.weather.gov might be a good place to look for text-only forecasts (as opposed to HTML forecasts). festival is the voice reader you're looking for.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm in London UK.

I've sent an email to accuweather asking for access to their XML feeds. I reckon accuweather is best too because it will do world weather through a couple of configurable clicks.

So my next steps are get accuweather, put info into a file then build a cron (whatever the hell that is .

If anyone knows what the key to accuweather is, or if there's already a wget for it (there must be... look at Cairo Dock) - Please let me know.

P

Beans
    Hidden!

i dont know about accuweather, but check out bbc weather. they have a 3 day forcast in xml format and also in a text only version for the blind. this is for my location ID which is of chesterfield for the text only bit:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cgi-bin/educati...&print#results

i parse the xml one for my conky script on my desktop, although i parse too much info for it to be directly useful to you i guess.

but if you want accuweather and cairo dock uses it, then perhaps look at the source code for the dock