Thread: HowTo Install KDE 3 into Kubuntu Intrepid

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Talking HowTo Install KDE 3 into Kubuntu Intrepid

Prologue
    I switched to Kubuntu Intrepid from Hardy and I kept KDE 3 because, in my opinion, KDE 4 is not ready to day-by-day pc operations.

This is not a post against KDE 4, so please do not start flame war about KDE.

I understand at large the reasons why Kubuntu team make the decision to switch the WM into KDE 4 and to do not include KDE 3 anymore; in my view this is a simply wrong decision, but it's ok.
    Anyway, because I like very much *ubuntu philosophy and KDE, I found a way to continue to use my distribution at the ultimate release (Intrepid) with my favorite (at the moment) WM, KDE 3.

First of all I must say a big thanks to Madscientist159 that, without his precious works, the solution to use KDE 3 into Intrepid was not possible. Again, Madscientis159, in the full sense of *ubuntu community, invest his time and knowledge into this possibility.

I did the following steps personally, but I do not guarantee that this will work for you, but if I can I'll try to help you.
    Please follow the steps indicated if you are a quite experienced user of the system.

The upgrade from Hardy to Intrepid
    When you are still in Hardy install Gnome environment
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install ubuntu-desktop
    Reboot your machine and log into Gnome
    Open a terminal window and do:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get dist upgrade
    Accept the updates if any.
    Download on your desktop my source list file sources.txt (available at the end of the post); the repositories in the sources.txt are the official one from Ubuntu; then do:
    Code:
    sudo cp ~/Desktop/sources.txt /etc/apt/sources.list
    Then upgrade the system from Hardy to Intrepid:
    To upgrade from Ubuntu 8.04, press Alt+F2 and type in "update-manager -d" (without the quotes) into the command box. Update Manager should open up and tell you: New distribution release '8.10' is available. Click Upgrade and follow the on-screen instructions.
    (I did not make the command above to upgrade, but I used apt-get, the comand above is the official one anyway)

At the end of installation reboot your machine and log into Gnome. Now you are in Intrepid

Install KDE 3 into Intrepid
    Attention! Install KDE 3 will REMOVE KDE 4
    Open the sources.list file
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
    And add the following lines (the Madscientist159 repository) at the end and save/close the file:
    Code:
    ###KDE3 on Intrepid
    deb http://apt.pearsoncomputing.net/ intrepid main
    deb-src http://apt.pearsoncomputing.net/ intrepid main
    Add GPG to the repository:
    Code:
    wget http://apt.pearsoncomputing.net/public.gpg
    sudo apt-key add public.gpg
    Then do:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    sudo apt-get install kde3 jockey-kde
    Reboot your machine and log into KDE; now you are in KDE 3 in Intrepid

Annoyances
    Fix KDM login window
    Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/share/apps/kdm/themes/Krystal/ /usr/share/apps/kdm/themes/kubuntu
    Remove kde applet for network-manager (is not working)
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove knetworkmanager network-manager-kde
    Add nm-applet of Gnome into KDE
    Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/bin/nm-applet ~/.kde/Autostart/nm-applet
    Probably you must reconfigure kicker (KDE app bar and some stuff in kcontrol like fonts and style), if you had previously (in Hardy) installed compiz+emerald the configuration will be kept intact.

Reboot to get your networking works under KDE
    Basically now you have finished, just add Medibutu repositories
    Code:
    sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/intrepid.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get update
    Accept the updates if any.

Do you still want KDE 4?
    You can use the Nightly Neon ppa repositories (no GPG for authenticated packages)
    Open sources.list
    Code:
    sudo kate /etc/apt/sources.list
    And add the following lines at the end of the file, then save/close the file:
    Code:
    ###Amarok2 & KDE4 Nightly Neon!!
    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/project-neon/ubuntu intrepid main
    Then do:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install kde-nightly
    Reboot the machine. Now you can choose 3 WM at the login window:
    • KDE 3
    • KDE 4 (Nightly)
    • Gnome

That's it.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ------------------------------------------------
    yep ”short and long URL„
    http://yep.it/

Beans

Re: HowTo Install KDE 3 into Kubuntu Intrepid

This is a very nice howto! The only thing I want to note is that it's not necessary to install ubuntu-desktop if you just want GNOME. This should do the trick:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-core gnome-themes ubuntu-artwork

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Let's just say (hypothetically, of course) that someone followed the instructions in this post, but upon further consideration, decided that he/she would prefer to stick with KDE4 afterall... what should that person do?

I have this 'friend' who might possibly be in this position. He tried to merely comment out the KDE3.5 repos mentioned in this post, remove KDE3, and install kubuntu-desktop from the official Intrepid repos, but was unable to do so. There were reports of broken packages.

What should my friend do?

Thanks!

Beans

Great guide!
    Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by james_xxx View Post
    Let's just say (hypothetically, of course) that someone followed the instructions in this post, but upon further consideration, decided that he/she would prefer to stick with KDE4 afterall... what should that person do?

I have this 'friend' who might possibly be in this position. He tried to merely comment out the KDE3.5 repos mentioned in this post, remove KDE3, and install kubuntu-desktop from the official Intrepid repos, but was unable to do so. There were reports of broken packages.

What should my friend do?

Thanks!
    I don't know. But maybe depends by the error that your friend got when try to reinstall kubuntu-desktop. I think there is no problem if your friend doing this operation inside Gnome or even inside kde-nighly; afaik, the packages of kubuntu-desktop will replace the kde3 packages
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install kubuntu-desktop
    like kde3 packages replaced official kde 4 of kubuntu when you installed them.

But this is not the point, I think your friend should use Hardy with kde 3 and kde 4 and when he decided to use kde 4 switch to Intrepid as normal update (official), in a sense your question is not pertinent to the sense of my post, that means: I want to use Intrepid (because I want to be in the last edition of my distro beside WM) and I want to use KDE 3 because is the WM that simply works for my needs.
    yep ”short and long URL„
    http://yep.it/