Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Eee PC Experiences

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

My Eee PC Experiences

I've had a number of people PM me about my Eee PC experiences.

PM's stand for Private Messages, and I believe private messages should be for private matters. People's experiences with computers shouldn't be private matters. They should be public matters.

If many people are PM'ing me about my Eee PC experiences, that means many people want to know what my experiences are, and if many people want to know, that means many people would benefit from seeing what those experiences are. If I PM back my experience, only one person sees the experience.

So I'm creating a thread. Please stop sending me PMs about "What's your Eee experience like?" This thread is my answer.

I did a number of blog entries about my experiences:
    Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) on the Eee PC
    Is the Eee PC for you?
    The Eee - a week later
    How I’ve made myself at home with the Eee
    Sum-up Review of the Eee PC 4 GB 701 Model

If you're too lazy to read those, here's the bottom-line summary:
    • It's usable and small.
    • The keyboard takes getting used to.
    • Everything works out of the box with Xandros.
    • Xandros isn't as easy to customize as Ubuntu is, though.
    • But with Ubuntu the boot times are much longer.
    I have only the 701. I have absolutely no experience with the 900, the 901, or any other version of the Asus Eee PC. I also have tried no other netbooks.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: My Eee PC Experiences

I didn't even bother removing Xandros from my Eee. I decided pretty early on that it came with everything I needed aside from storage space, which was easily fixed with a memory card.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Had my 901 for a week (linux of course).

Love it, even Xandros doesn't seem to bad and I agree with the poster above that it seems to have everything I need for an on-the train laptop.

Only "fix" I had to do so far was to stop Xandros saving everything onto the SD card as root
    Macbook and Ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

When I tried out the EeePC, the only thing I found I didn't really like on it was the rocker switch for the mouse buttons. Other than that, it was a neat little PC the size of a DVD case.
    What do tone deaf singers, floppy drive music, and an old woman dreaming about mashed rodents have in common? They're all on my blog! CHECK IT OUT

Beans

great blogs, thanks for the info

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I have owned my Asus Eee PC 701 for 6 months. I've tried Xandros, Windows XP, and Ubuntu. So far, my favorite is Ubuntu 8.04 with the Netbook Remix interface installed. Overall a great laptop, but I'm still getting used to the small keyboard.

Thanks for your notes. I think if I was to get a "subnotebook", I'd go with the new Dell one, purely because Ubuntu has been tweaked for it specifically. The start-up time doesn't surprise me, Ubuntu never seems particularly quick at that.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by megabytemonster View Post
    Thanks for your notes. I think if I was to get a "subnotebook", I'd go with the new Dell one, purely because Ubuntu has been tweaked for it specifically. The start-up time doesn't surprise me, Ubuntu never seems particularly quick at that.
    Ubuntu has been tweaked for the Eee PC 1000 too. I'm personally going to try to go with ZaReason because of their great reputation, as well as the fact they will modify Ubuntu and install it for me, saving me the trouble of having to find the drivers for Ubuntu or depending on a 3rd party distro.
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I have had the small Xandros wireless 4G model since it first came out. Nice laptop. No need to mess with anything. The three hour battery time is ok with me. It is my choice for traveling over my Linspire "heavy"laptop.
    My stepson who uses a XP laptop bought the 2G model for downloading and reading E books.

Not a PC for primary use.

I have a 3.2g, 2gb ram for heavy duty use which runs Ubuntu 8.04.

Bottom line, I do not care what the OS is as long as it works. I run applications, not Operating Systems.

Rich
    Linux path. Lindows/Linspire, Freespire, Ubuntu 8.04, Mint 6/Mint 7.
    No Gates or Windows

Beans

I love my 1000H, it's a bit larger then the 7xx and 9xx series, but the other ones are too small anyway. Since it's got a bigger resolution I almost never have to side scroll, and the battery life of the 6 cells is amazing. I'm able to pull 4.5-7 hours depending on what I'm doing with it. It's also able to stay on standby for ... well, a week probably, I've left it on standby overnight and only lost about 5% battery. The atom is quick as long as you don't push it too hard, and I don't have any issues at all with video playback being choppy. Very happy with my experience overall.

...except for one part: it's still running XP. I don't want to have to bother with fixing the half a dozen hardware incompatibilities this model has with Ubuntu, not to mention the lack of ability to change the screen's brightness with the function keys. Maybe once Ubuntu supports the hardware a bit better I'll try it out, but for my purposes XP is just fine on this little thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast