Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Should I use Ubuntu on this computer?

Beans

Question [SOLVED] Should I use Ubuntu on this computer?

hello all!,

I have considered putting ubuntu onto my older computer. But I have a slight concern, I do not think tht Ubuntu will run fast on the computer though.

COmputer specs:
    Pentium 4 2.6 GHZ
    256mb ram
    40GB Hard Disc

I already have xubuntu on an old laptop. I know that xubuntu would be a better option; But I really do prefer Ubuntu.

Can anyone please recommend or suggest if i should put ubuntu on this computer? If not, any other options besides xubuntu?

Many thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Should I use Ubuntu on this computer?

You could try installing Ubuntu from the text only alternate cd to bypass problems with the low amount of ram. Same as, except you don't use a friendly GUI for the install. Having said that, you may have to settle with Xubuntu in the end. Give it a go though and let us know how you went.

Beans

Can you tell me how much ram ubuntu uses regularly for normal web surfing and some multimedia?

I am quite sure it will still be faster tan running XP on it =P

Beans
    Hidden!

my beautiful monster-quad brOke!

So.. I'm using my ooold p4 celeron 1.7 with 512 ddr400 and it works fine with hardy. A tad slow on the graphics so i'm considering using a lightweight window manager instead.

Also think you might have some trouble with the low ram in your system, but then again, I installed ubuntu on a virtual machine with only 192 ram...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I would recommend Xubuntu. You may be lucky enough to get Ubuntu on there but it could be s l o w and graphics a problem. Minimum is 384Mb for Ubuntu (from memory) and Xubuntu 192Mb.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Fc1032 View Post
    Can you tell me how much ram ubuntu uses regularly for normal web surfing and some multimedia?

well how much RAM Ubuntu uses is dependent on how much RAM you have, if that makes sense. If you have lots of RAM, Ubuntu will simply cache more stuff in RAM to make your system run faster. Less RAM will obviously make the system less efficient - I think 256 will be fairly unusuable, but it will probably work - just not very well. i would reccomend Xubuntu.

if you do decide to go ahead with regular Ubuntu, make sure to make a swap partition/file that is at least 512MB in size - swap space is crucial for low memory machines. also, as mentioned above, you'll need to use the alternate CD to install.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by -random View Post
    my beautiful monster-quad brOke!

So.. I'm using my ooold p4 celeron 1.7 with 512 ddr400 and it works fine with hardy. A tad slow on the graphics so i'm considering using a lightweight window manager instead.

Also think you might have some trouble with the low ram in your system, but then again, I installed ubuntu on a virtual machine with only 192 ram...
    You have twice the RAM as the OP and running on a virtual machine ... slightly different circumstances ...

Beans

Ok, thanks everyone!

All your answers were prompt! I'll try Ubuntu and report how it turns out! I probably WILL have to end up using xubuntu (which of course is still fine =D)

I will have a 'report' tomorrow

Thanks again!

Beans

It should work fine as long as you do not activate your graphic card.
    Do not run many programs at the same time, and use the default gui theme.
    It should work fine for normal work things like surfing the web, using open office etc.
    But I would uninstall programs you don't need before you start using the system.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Fc1032 View Post

My mistake, thought you were talking minimum ram for install in my reply a couple posts ago. I'll learn to read one of these days! lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast