Thread: Download airport-utils package to disk?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Download airport-utils package to disk?

Hello,

I just built a computer and installed Ubuntu 8.04. I have an existing AirPort Express network, which the Ubuntu box does not see. I read that I need the package "airport-utils" in order for the computer to recognize the network. Since I cannot get online to download it, is there a way that I can download the package, burn it to a disc, then install it on the host computer???

Please help!
    Thanks!
    -Thomas

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Download airport-utils package to disk?

Yes, if you open synaptic and mark the package you want to install for installation, then go to the File menu and select Generate package download script. You can then copy that file and paste the URLs into a browser and download the packages you need.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Taxman415a View Post
    Yes, if you open synaptic and mark the package you want to install for installation, then go to the File menu and select Generate package download script. You can then copy that file and paste the URLs into a browser and download the packages you need.
    Thanks Taxman! I'm still a little unclear on the process though. I saved the script to my desktop as airport-utils.sh. So I run this script, and it's supposed to download the package to a file or something? I opened the script in a text editor, and it was just this
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    Any ideas?

-Thomas

Beans
    Distro

You must not have marked the package for installation first. First you find the package you want then double click on it to mark it to install (or right click and select mark for installation.). Only then generate the script and then it should contain the URLs you need.

And yeah that script can then be run on a Linux system to download the files you need, but the real advantage for you is that it contains the URLs you need and you can open up the script and copy and paste those into a browser in any operating system and get the files you need, then copy those back over to your Ubuntu system.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

How about plugging a network cable from your pc into your airport. You should have been supplied one with the airport and from your isp.

If you cannot do this I don't see any reason why you cant download it on another pc, burn it to disc then install it on your ubuntu box.

I thought the airport is just acting as a wireless access point. If that's the case you may have a wireless issue on your pc.

I'm just guessing here because I've never seen it, BUT, is the airport utils package only for configuring the airport just like the apple utility. It's just a thought.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Taxman415a View Post
    You must not have marked the package for installation first. First you find the package you want then double click on it to mark it to install (or right click and select mark for installation.). Only then generate the script and then it should contain the URLs you need.

And yeah that script can then be run on a Linux system to download the files you need, but the real advantage for you is that it contains the URLs you need and you can open up the script and copy and paste those into a browser in any operating system and get the files you need, then copy those back over to your Ubuntu system.
    I have the package installed on my computer already, but not on the new one I'm building. That one doesn't have internet access at all.

@lintoon

If you cannot do this I don't see any reason why you cant download it on another pc, burn it to disc then install it on your ubuntu box.
    This is what I'm trying to do. Just so I'll know how to do it in the future. Can I download a package from one computer, burn it to a disc or copy to a flash drive, then install it on another computer, which is not connected to the internet?

Thanks for all your help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

OK so apparently, I'm dumb. I just downloaded the airport-utils_1-6_all.deb file from http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/net/. I'm going to burn to a disc and install later. Thanks for your suggestions!

-Thomas

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You're on your way. Good luck

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by TomDaBomb2u View Post
    OK so apparently, I'm dumb. I just downloaded the airport-utils_1-6_all.deb file from http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/net/. I'm going to burn to a disc and install later. Thanks for your suggestions!

-Thomas
    Yes you can always do this. The reason I didn't tell you to do that is the method I gave you handles dependencies better. If there are other dependencies needed to install the package the script will get them too. And yes you have to follow the method's steps on the computer that needs the package installed. Otherwise you won't get the script output that includes the packages you need.

The other problem that comes in is when the package information on your non-networked computer gets out of date so much that the packages it looks for are no longer the current versions available. I don't have an easy way to go about downloading that information offline and updating it.