Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Acer Aspire Mic Fix?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Red face Acer Aspire Mic Fix?

My integrated mic doesn't work. Am I just stupid or is there a driver I need to install.
    I'm using an Acer Aspire 5720z laptop.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Acer Aspire Mic Fix?

Quote Originally Posted by ArrrghJ View Post
    My integrated mic doesn't work. Am I just stupid or is there a driver I need to install.
    I'm using an Acer Aspire 5720z laptop.
    I'm on an Acer Aspire 4520 and have the same issue. I believe the integrated mic is a USB device, although I can't remember what I saw that gave me that idea. I've also been unable to get the mic / line in / headphone jacks on the front to work.

The only solution I've come up with is to use a Creative X-Fi Xmod USB sound card I picked up on red dot from Circuit City several months ago. As luck would have it, I just bought it because it was a good deal, but had no idea why I'd need it. Now I have a use for it. Anyway, the Creative device has better quality audio than my integrated audio, so I don't really miss the functionality I don't have.

However, if someone does have a solution to get my on-board crap to work, I certainly wouldn't scoff at it.
    Q: How many ADD kids does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
    A: Hey! Let's go ride bikes!

Beans

Basically, the AA1 works great except for the choice between no sound on resume from suspend and no internal mic. Check out my post and screen shot on the wubi board:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=905983

Beans

Yes, we wouldn't be here if we hadn't already installed Ubuntu on an Aspire One, Fanless_Puppy_Fan.
    We don't need a guide to general installation, or to be reminded what our problem is.

What we need is a fix to this internal mic issue everyone is experiencing on Acer Aspire Netbooks loaded with Ubuntu.

I've seen some people on other forums claim they have figured it out... but they were ignorant enough to forget there's still hundreds of us who haven't, and need to know how.

So, if anyone has figured out how to get the internal mic on the Acer Aspire One units working with Ubuntu (9.04 for me), please chime in.

I'd like to use the onboard mic for conference calls... I don't want to have to be stuck using windows on such a light comp.

Someone on another forum hinted that the issue lays in ALSA... but that doesn't really help me.
    Last edited by johnsky; May 28th, 2009 at 03:27 AM.

Beans

I've been stuck with the same issue on my Aspire 4736z using Jaunty since a couple of months ago. I've done most of the workarounds, including updating to Alsa 1.0.20, but still don't have a working front mic.

Good thing though is that my external speaker and mic ports are working by default on Jaunty, so I'm restricted to using a headset for conferencing in the meantime.

I've read on other forums that this is a regression problem with the latest kernels. No solution in sight yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Cool Re: Acer Aspire Mic Fix?

I too have a problem with my accer aspire 5520, everything is working except internal mic, on https://bugs.launchpad.net/linux/+bug/269294 there is a fix posted which apparently works according to some of the users, but i could not figure it out yet, below is the fix which was posted, but I get stuck at sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite alsa-driver_1.0.20-1_i386.deb (i asume i need to ajust this command as i am using amd64 Ubuntu 9.04 - the Jaunty Jackalope)

I fixed this problem on my Acer Aspire 5520 Notebook. I had the exact same problems above, but can now record audio just fine with the internal microphone from the Acer CrystalEye Camera and Microphone combo.
    NOTE: This problem was experienced in Ubuntu 9.04 and Linux Mint 7. The fix was performed and tested in Linux Mint 7, which uses Ubuntu 9.04 as its base.
    Step 1:
    Download <a href="ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/drive...1.0.20.tar.bz2">Alsa drivers v10.0.20</a>
    Step 2:
    extract the contents.
    <b>
    tar -vxf alsa-driver-1.0.20.tar.gz
    </b>
    Step 3:
    Compile the driver
    <b>
    ./configure
    make
    sudo make install
    </b>
    NOTE: I actually used a program called CheckInstall which creates a debian package that I can later install or remove at my leisure. If you choose this option be sure to install CheckInstall first, and also it may be necessary to install the finished package in this manner:
    <b>
    sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite alsa-driver_1.0.20-1_i386.deb
    </b>
    Step 4:
    Configure alsa-base.conf
    Add the following line to the end of /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
    <b>
    alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
    options snd-hda-intel model=acer
    </b>
    Step 5:
    Reboot
    Sound recording should now work correctly on the Acer 5520. I experienced this problem with Ubuntu 9.04 and Linux Mint 7. The Fix works in Linux Mint 7, and should therefore work in Ubuntu 9.04, as they are essentially the same under the hood.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Talking Re: Acer Aspire Mic Fix?

Hurray I got it to work, thanks to marcosbelancon from the bug report.

Below is what I did

Step 1: Download ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/drive...1.0.20.tar.bz2

Step 2:extract the contents.
    Open terminal and cd (change directory) to where you downloaded the driver e.g usr@usr-laptop:~$cd Desktop Note: remember its case sensitive once in the correct directory untar the driver using the command tar -vxf alsa-driver-1.0.20.tar.gz

Step 3:Compile the driver (note you need Check install if you don't have it use apt-get install to get it e.g sudo apt-get install checkinstall) then run the commands bellow takes a little while to do its thing

./configure
    make
    sudo make install

Step 4:
    Configure alsa-base.conf
    Add the following line to the end of /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf file I did this by using the command

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

I added these two lines at the end of the conf file then saved it

Step 5:
    Reboot and for me it worked hope this helps someone

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ideathproof View Post
    Hurray I got it to work, thanks to marcosbelancon from the bug report.

Below is what I did

Step 1: Download ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/drive...1.0.20.tar.bz2

Step 2:extract the contents.
    Open terminal and cd (change directory) to where you downloaded the driver e.g usr@usr-laptop:~$cd Desktop Note: remember its case sensitive once in the correct directory untar the driver using the command tar -vxf alsa-driver-1.0.20.tar.gz

Step 3:Compile the driver (note you need Check install if you don't have it use apt-get install to get it e.g sudo apt-get install checkinstall) then run the commands bellow takes a little while to do its thing

./configure
    make
    sudo make install

Step 4:
    Configure alsa-base.conf
    Add the following line to the end of /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf file I did this by using the command

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

I added these two lines at the end of the conf file then saved it

Step 5:
    Reboot and for me it worked hope this helps someone
    Hello there,

I did the same procedure on my Aspire 4736z, but sadly the built-in mic still doesn't work. Audio works fine and so does the external mic jack. I also used model=3stack-6ch-dig but still no go.

Beans

This is my first post so hello to everyone

I had the same problem with acer 5520
    I followed ideathproof's advice just until step 3
    The mic seems to work but has many cracks and pops and echo and the sound seem to come out
    of a tunnel.

So my question is "how do I configure alsa" ?
    and where is the file /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf ?

Thanks

Beans

it was jsut a matter of adjusting the mixer after all

thanks

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast