Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you think of this laptop?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: What do you think of this laptop?

I've never been impressed much with the Vaio line either - I've had too many friends have them break down or be really buggy. Also, $999 does seem a bit steep for what it includes. Have you looked at System76? Dell also makes a decent, Linux friendly laptop.
    ASUS M2A-MVP, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+, 3 Gb DDR2 800Mhz, GeForce 8600GT XXX Edition, Ubuntu 8.10

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VitaLiNux View Post
    Show me the road to heaven! Where could I find such a laptop!?(you must be kidding me or talking about a crappy laptop)
    They are from the UK of course:- http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/pr...n&s=bsd&~ck=mn

Also, I don't believe in crappy hardware
    -[Discipline] - Macbook Pro 5,3 - Intel Core2Duo 2.66Ghz, 4Gb RAM, Nvidia 9400M + 9600GT, 320Gb HDD, Mac OSX 10.7.1 Lion
    -Windows free since May 2007.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by liquidfunk View Post
    They are from the UK of course:- http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/pr...n&s=bsd&~ck=mn

Also, I don't believe in crappy hardware
    I think that either that currency calculation is bad or in the UK you can buy that laptop for less than half of the U.S price. Hmmph!
    Edit: You did no mistakes. That laptop is cheaper in the UK than in US. Pfft!! The American economy is in bad shape. Reeeally!
    Last edited by VitaLiNux; September 23rd, 2008 at 12:32 AM.

Linux User #469180

Beans

Ok first I will have to agree with others here Sony & Customer Support = Bad.

I just had to send one back in for a customer after her LCD went bad. She has important data on this laptop about patients and such. We wanted to take the harddrive out before sending it back for repair since it had customer data on it. Sony would not accept the Laptop back for repair if it didn't have the harddrive in the system. We took the drive out and created an backup image of it and wrote zero's to the drive. And wouldn't you know it we get the laptop back with a fresh factory image. All this just place a defective LCD screen.

Honestly if I had to choose on a 'Name Brand" laptop it would have to be a Dell. I have worked on all of them from high end to cheap ones and the Dell laptops work out pretty nice.

just my .02 cents

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

What about ThinkPad SL400? With the same specs as Vaio, it comes to $740. And it's a ThinkPad.
    Die writing: I write crazy things
    PhD Wander: I write crazy things about my travels
    RedScout: Lenovo 3000 C100, 1.5GHz Celeron M, 1.25GB RAM, 120GB HDD

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm really happy with my Vaio FZ21M which I got for around $999 (699 pounds sterling.

You can get much better value than that overpriced thing in the OP.

Beans
    Hidden!

Last edited by stokedfish; September 23rd, 2008 at 10:46 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I thought you guys over there in the US got everything cheaper than us Brits!! Having said that most countries do / seem to that's why there's websites and slogans along the lines of "Rip off Britain!". But that's for any other thread, back to the subject!

I was surprised at the cost of that laptop, the other half bought an HP about a month ago for approx £280 ($520) ok, it's not the most powerful machine in the world, but it does your basic stuff just fine. I've never been a fan of Sony, there's other manufacturers out there that do the same for less money. And as someone else pointed out shared memory for video, I'd look else where!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12