Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Runtime optimization

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: Runtime optimization

Quote Originally Posted by slavik View Post
    you say that run-time optimizations are better ... better than what exactly?
    than static compile-time optimization, obviously?

At runtime, you have **all** information from compile, **and additionally** runtime info from profiling. Did you bothered to read the link I provided? It is not something I discovered or even work on: I read about it and found it interesting, that's all. If I was smart enough to implement it, I would not be wasting time here in PT forum

> Why is it that academia places such a hard emphasis on "computers are fast, memory is cheap"?

Actually, it is not academia but pragmatic programmers who have deadlines I am surprised what thesis themes of grad students are mentioned at the CompSci mailing list: Less than one a year even sounds interesting and relevant

> computers are not fast, and memory is not cheap when you have someone reading a stream one character at a time and appending it to a string in a language where strings are immutable

then don't use string what you need to reallocate but a buffer. get some classes in data structures If input stream is slow, you have plenty of time to process and reallocate between characters.

(talk all you want about GC, it still needs processor time to run and has to effective stop everything else so that the memory is only changed by itself(the GC)).
    Not if you use reference counting for GC. CPU is fast enough that there is plenty of time to do lots of things between disk reads, trust me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: Runtime optimization

Quote Originally Posted by dribeas View Post
    Give me a (select your preferred interpreted language) program able to distribute 500 CORBA data elements (6D vectors: 6 doubles, including serialization and deserialization) data elements at a 50Hz rate.
    Of course if task is CPU-bound, C wins. But most tasks are not: communication with external world is usually way too slow (web) that there is plenty of time to optimize.

> you don't hold the only truth. The real truth I know is this: language wars are useless.

So why you waste your time?

I never said that I hold the only truth. But from my personal experience, I have different productivity in different languages, so at least for me, it does matter.

Notice that for real calculus python uses C coded libraries... does that sound a ring? The real optimization is time-to-market, where interpreted languages are really better than C/C++ but just don't try to fool people with a silver bullet, if (whatever your language is) were the silver bullet, then you would not need to fight this stupid flame wars.
    It's funny how you use my own sounbites as arguments, distorted to the point I have to disagree

"time to market" is argument against "speed kiddies" who consider C or C++ the only language worthy to solve any problem, "because code would run faster". Yes, some libraries are in C for speed - but many are not, and are fast enough. Also, Python started as niche hobby language, and developers did not had the resources to spend for runtime optimization, like Sun for Java or MSFT for .NET DLR. Only now, when Python become popular, are there resources to focus on runtime optimization, especially when the code to do it can be done not in C, but in substantially more productive Python (PyPy project).

Language flamewars are stupid for people who do not accept that there **are** differences between languages. As CptPicard said so eloquently, HHL have more silver in their bullets

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12