Thread: VPN Connection

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Question VPN Connection

Hi, I'm completely n00b when it comes to Linux and specially networking stuff. I really need to setup a VPN connection like I had in windows so I can connect through it while I'm connected to internet. Any help would be appreciated. And please just explain it in layman words so I can understand.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: VPN Connection

You can try the program, vpnc, from System>Administration>Synaptic Package Manager.

If you normally use a Nortel client under Windows to VPN, a company called Apani makes a Linux program, but it isn't free. Some folks have luck using vpnc.

NOTE: Apani doesn't support 64-bit Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I use a java app called Your Freedom. YF isn't available through the repos, but you can get it from www.your-freedom.net.

This is what to do:

1. Go to Synaptic (System > Administration > Synaptic) and install OpenVPN.

2. Now go to www.your-freedom.net and download the java app Your Freedom. Also download the YF Users Guide pdf.

The instructions for YF are self-explanatory. But if you have any problems or questions, just ask.
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by t0p View Post
    I use a java app called Your Freedom. YF isn't available through the repos, but you can get it from www.your-freedom.net.

This is what to do:

1. Go to Synaptic (System > Administration > Synaptic) and install OpenVPN.

2. Now go to www.your-freedom.net and download the java app Your Freedom. Also download the YF Users Guide pdf.

The instructions for YF are self-explanatory. But if you have any problems or questions, just ask.
    Well actually I've already downloaded the OpenVPN but just don't know how to use it. I'll download YF too hope it helps. If I couldn't make any progress I'll let you know. Thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Well actually Your Freedom was not what I wanted. It was a standalone software that could bypass the filters. I really need to setup a VPN connection. I have the IP of the server I want to connect to, I have the username and password. All I need is just instructions on how to setup the VPN in Ubuntu Hardy. I would be thankful.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

lol reviving a dead thread.... anyways...

with freedom and OPENVPN downloaded...i know how to acces the config...but i DONT know what to config....any help please?
    "We withold the right to smack stupid people"

Dell inspiron 6400; Intel Core duo T2400 @ 1.83GHz; SATA 500 gig HDD; 2 gig RAM @ 667MHz; Nvidia GeForce Go 7300