Thread: How to Install Memory?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

How to Install Memory?

Hi!

My laptop has been running slowly when I have 4 programs open, so I wanted to install more memory to see if this will improve my performance. I found a memory chip online for cheap, and it is compatible with my laptop. The installation seems pretty easy, unscrew panel, pop in new chip, screw panel back on.

Are there any special considerations I need to account for because I am running Ubuntu? Will I need to configure anything?

Links to related posts would be appreciated, I am having a hard time getting an answer for this one.

Beans

Re: How to Install Memory?

Wow! That's a great price for notebook ram. You shouldn't need to configure anything. I don't know of any threads, but Ubuntu should recognize automatically how much ram you have.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

That is a good price for RAM, well done!

As for inserting it, you should find the RAM cover on the underside of your laptop easily enough. Remove it, and with a bit of luck you'll find your original RAM, occupying slot(s). They shouldn't be too hard to remove, but be careful.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of mixing 'n' matching different makes of RAM, there have been incidences of instability between them. Saying that, things have improved over the years. From the reviews I've seen, your Inspiron B130 comes with 512MB of RAM over 2 memory slots, which means you'll have to sacrifice half of your old RAM to allow for the new RAM card.

I would try removing all of the old RAM (re: memory instability) and see how you get on with just the 1Gb on it's own. If it's good, then great. If not, would it be possible to buy two of them? 2Gb of RAM is a very healthy place to be in.
    <<< ADVERTISE HERE >>>

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sleepingdragon View Post
    Personally, I'm not a big fan of mixing 'n' matching different makes of RAM, there have been incidences of instability between them. Saying that, things have improved over the years. From the reviews I've seen, your Inspiron B130 comes with 512MB of RAM over 2 memory slots, which means you'll have to sacrifice half of your old RAM to allow for the new RAM card.

I would try removing all of the old RAM (re: memory instability) and see how you get on with just the 1Gb on it's own. If it's good, then great. If not, would it be possible to buy two of them? 2Gb of RAM is a very healthy place to be in.
    I think as long as the two sticks are the same frequency there shouldn't be any problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I think I will give it a shot with two of the one gig rams (for a grand total of 2 gigs of ram!).

About the frequency, I am assuming it is the right frequency, because I looked these ram chips (cards? slots?) up by the make and model of the computer, so the website suggests these are the right ones for my dell inspiron b130.

Thanks for the help!

Beans
    Hidden!

Be sure to make sure the new RAM is properly seated in the socket, along with the usual precautions (power off, antistatic precautions if you can, etc.).

I upgraded my desktop's RAM some time back, and not long after moving it to another room, I started getting the BSOD with some kind of error message about memory problems - reseating the RAM I'd added in its socket cured that problem.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Therion is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Excellent price for SODIMM. Get two. Seriously...

Pitch whatever memory is in your notebook now and pop in a pair of these. 99% likely you could mix and match between what you're ordering and what you already have, but truly... Matched pairs are best. And for $20? Please.

Do it right, do it once.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Wink Don't Forget

After you put the memory in you can boot directly to the Ubuntu Installation CD and run the Check Memory utility. It will tell you right away if the memory is bad or not compatible BEFORE you boot your system and hose up your software/files.

Nice, huh?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Just bought two (Sorry, I swear this isn't some slick affiliate marketing ploy).

I will definitely run the boot CD and do a memory check, probably just do a backup of my hard drive for fun before I muck about under the hood too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I installed the memory, very easy to do! Unscrewed four screws on the bottom of the laptop, lifted out the old memory chip and put in two new ones.

Now I am blazing fast! I was thinking about switching to Xubuntu because my computer was getting so bogged down with the programs I need open, but now it handles them with ease! Even Open Office snaps right to attention when I click it.

Thanks all!