Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intrepid Ibex

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

Intrepid Ibex

Just curious folks, when the new version comes out, all your stuff, will it transfer? Like photos, music, video. Or will it be a clean install? What if I use the terminal to upgrade?
    the big p....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Intrepid Ibex

Hi

You will be notified of the new version in updates.If you just update then all your photos, files ect. will still be there.

Many people choose to do a clean install, but you would then have to backup your files to usb stick or equivelent and then transfer back.

Hope this helps

cl
    There's Gnome place like ~/

Sony Vaio All in One Ubuntu 13.04
    Acer Aspire 5315 Ubuntu 13.04 Toshiba NB200 Ubuntu Gnome 12.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

If you use the terminal to upgrade, or the upgrade manager, it will just be like installing a new kernel. So everything will transfer, if you want to think of it that way.

If you download the cd, and do a fresh install, and you *DON'T* have a seperate home partition, then none of your stuff with transfer unless you do it manually. From my experiences, you typically get a better experience if you do a fresh install then if you upgrade, but some people like upgrading more. So in the end its up to you how you want to do it.

Beans
    Distro

provided you wanna try it, you can just upgrade, although it is always advisable to back up your files just in case something may go wrong(unlikely but possible).

To try out other distros it is hand to have either a /home partition or to have installations on different partitions.

I have to stress that upgrading at this stage is very risky, it's better to wait until the stable release comes out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Before any OS install or upgrade you should always back up all your personal data, as things can sometimes go wrong.

The easiest thing for you then would be to do a dist upgrade. Update manager should alert you to a new distro and give you an option of upgrading, which should preserve your /home.

Alternatively, if you have a separate partition for /home then its pretty easy to just install over your current / partition and use your old /home.

I recall reading that there were plans to allow /home to be preserved in a standard install since hardy, but i dont know if this is has happened.
    How To Use Ubuntu - Tips and guides for ubuntu
    How To Make A Band - Tips and ideas for anyone in a band

Beans
    Hidden!

Last time around I did a compleat reinstall and it took me a while to get it back to where I wanted it. I think this time I am going to do a backup and then just update though the terminal ( I plan on switching when Beta is out).
    Registered Linux User: 453202 Registered Ubuntu User:17339
    WARNING: Don't take code or candy from strangers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

What's the status on a full upgrade currently ?

I tried that on Dapper > Edgy and Edgy > Feisty, and it broke both times.

Had to do clean reinstalls for Edgy and Feisty in the end, and since then I never even tried for Gutsy and Hardy. I heard it worked better but never tried.
    This is the first age that's paid much attention to the future, which is a little ironic since we may not have one.
    -- Arthur C. Clarke

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Mornedhel View Post
    What's the status on a full upgrade currently ?

I tried that on Dapper > Edgy and Edgy > Feisty, and it broke both times.

Had to do clean reinstalls for Edgy and Feisty in the end, and since then I never even tried for Gutsy and Hardy. I heard it worked better but never tried.
    Well, as with everything computery, it should work, but sometimes doesnt.

I have sucessfully upgraded dapper->edgy and feisty->gutsy, but now i prefer to do clean installs as it just leaves everything tidier.
    How To Use Ubuntu - Tips and guides for ubuntu
    How To Make A Band - Tips and ideas for anyone in a band

Beans
    Distro

I just did the intrepid upgrade on my desktop and it did not go so well, can't boot from it, but I have a /home partition and I have other distros(linuxmint and pclos) installed in other partitions so not worries there.

@ Het Irv - you might want to consider making a /home partition, it makes life a whole lot easier

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by waspbr View Post
    I just did the intrepid upgrade on my desktop and it did not go so well, can't boot from it, but I have a /home partition and I have other distros(linuxmint and pclos) installed in other partitions so not worries there.

@ Het Irv - you might want to consider making a /home partition, it makes life a whole lot easier
    No kidding, thats something I havn't gotten around to doing yet, but I really should. Especially since I have been trying some other distros.
    Registered Linux User: 453202 Registered Ubuntu User:17339
    WARNING: Don't take code or candy from strangers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast