Thread: Video conversion. Size and format issues. .mod, .dv

Beans

Video conversion. Size and format issues. .mod, .dv

My mother bought a JVC Everio camcorder last month, and now I'm supposed to edit the holiday videos, but I'm coming across a few problems.

The videos are in .mod format, I've been reading in the forums and googling about it, but I still can't find a way to do what I hope I can do.

The files are of a reasonable size, but are interlaced and look rather sucky, Kino can convert them to .dv, but it takes ages, and sometimes it stops the task randomly. Also, the output .dv files are humongous, a 43 second file ends up as a 148 MB file in .dv, so I can't export more than 5 minutes without running out of space. I have tried Avidemux to convert them to something else, but it crashes, I also tried PiTiVi, and I can edit the .mod files with no problems but it looks like there is no way to deinterlace them without using Kino and converting to .dv. So I was hoping there could be a way to convert them to .dv while keeping a small size. And while we're at it, batch conversion would be awesome since having Kino import them one by one is terribly tedious.

Is there some way I can do what I am asking for? Or am I doomed to a buying a several terabyte hard drive?

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Video conversion. Size and format issues. .mod, .dv

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Video conversion. Size and format issues. .mod, .dv

even though they're named with .mod, they're just mpeg video files, just open them with avidemux2 or open movie editor or cinelarra. devede is a nice program for putting them on a dvd.