View Poll Results: If you have ever used Arch Linux, are you still using it?

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

62 42.76%
  • No

83 57.24%
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Arch Linux User Retention Rate

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Arch Linux User Retention Rate

The poll is for anyone who has ever tried Arch. Are you still using it?

If not, please explain:
    1. Why not?
    2. What distro are you currently using instead?

If you have not used Arch Linux at all, please do not submit a poll response. Thank you.
    Last edited by aaaantoine; September 22nd, 2008 at 04:35 PM.
    Acer Aspire 5050-5554 w/ 4GB RAM upgrade. Ubuntu Aug 07 - Dec 08; Arch Linux Dec 08 - July 2011; Ubuntu again since July 2011.
    "Triclops": Home-built AMD Athlon II X2 250, 4GB RAM, Radeon 6570, 500GB HDD. Ubuntu/Windows-XP duo since Jun 2010.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Arch Linux User Retention Rate

I used to love Arch, but now I don't like it because of the instability. I got hard lockups with it which are completely unacceptable. Whether I'm running KDE or Openbox, they just always seemed to happen. Right now I leaning towards Ubuntu/Debian.
    Current distro: Kubuntu 11.04 + KXStudio

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by aaaantoine View Post
    The poll is for anyone who has ever tried Arch. Are you still using it?

If not, please explain:
    1. Why not?
    2. What distro are you currently using instead?

If you have not used Arch Linux at all, please do not submit a poll response. Thank you.
    I've used Arch, and I love it. Unfortunately there are a couple of things that keep me from using it. One is the size of the repositories, there are quite a few apps that I use frequently that are not in the repos. I'm really entirely too lazy to compile them myself. The other is that Standby support seems a bit broken on my laptop, I fiddled with it for a bit. I think it was an ACPI thing.

I went back to Ubuntu because it's almost impossible to find a piece of software that is not already in the Ubuntu repos (except really, really new stuff... and even then you can probably find a repo that will add it), and because everything just works.

I find I miss how fast Arch was/is, and I will likely continue to try it every once and a while when I get bored with Ubuntu.
    The command line is a powerful tool. You should not type a command unless you know what it does.

Beans
    Hidden!

I used Arch for a while, but it was too unstable. I got kernel panics at least once a day. I think it was caused by the hwdetect script choosing really buggy drivers.

If it was more stable I would use it over Ubuntu though.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have used Arch for a few months, and love it. I only ever had one problem when upgrading, but that wasn't enough to make me switch! I find Arch very stable, and I have all the latest software right at my fingertips
    "Security lies within the user of who runs the system. Think smart, live safe." - Dr Small
    Linux User #441960 | Wiki: DrSmall

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Was trying Arch but went sidux!
    You came empty handed, that is how you shall leave. Whatever you claim as yours today, belonged to someone else yesterday, will be someone else's tomorrow.

Beans

Just to give the other side, I still love Arch after 6 months. For me it has been utterly stable. I have had only two real problems with updates - one because I did not follow the instructions properly, and the other a dependency problem, solved by reverting to a previous version.

I have just updated one machine after 6 months of not being connected to the internet, running XFCE, Openbox and E17. 400MB, 319 packages (including a kernel and all the WMs/DEs) and 6 .conf.new config files to change. After the update replaced almost everything, I only needed to reset one volume channel, reapply the Entrance theme and make sure the RT73USB wireless module was loaded.

I don't count that as unstable. Wait until Intrepid comes out and keep an eye on the forums....

Beans

Been using it for nine months now and have not used another distro since.

Beans
    Hidden!

Been using Arch for quite a while now and I love it. It's weird for me to read about people have stability problems with it. Ubuntu was locking up once or twice a day on me which was a big part of the reason that I switched to Arch in the first place.

Arch has only ever locked up on me once and it's because I did something stupid.

Beans
    Hidden!

I've been using it exclusively since February and don't expect to change, ever. For me it's been completely stable, with the only problems that have occurred caused by me.
    Website | Blog | The Arch Hurd Project

If you want to ask about something I posted, send a PM, as I don't watch many threads

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast