Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: noob help...

Beans

noob help...

Just downloaded ubuntu. I could not get it to install. I went through all of the steps, then my computer goes to reboot but it does not load from the hard drive. My computer on has 128 mb of ram. I did not realize that My computer does not meet the minimum requirements. It has a Pentium 4(2.4 ghz), 40 gb hd, and 128 mb ram. Can anyone tell me if the ram is why my computer goes through the installation process, but won't load the os. I have plans on upgrading, but I didnt want to shell out the money untill i know it works. thanks

Beans

Re: noob help...

With 128mb ram have you considered install xubuntu using the alternate cd?
    Ubuntu Newbie Help: irc: #beginners-help on network irc.freenode.net
    Help others, mark your threads solved.

Beans

I'm going to upgrade my ram, I just wanted to know that it worked before i spent money on it

Beans

What exactly happens when you finish the installation process and reboot? Did you eject the CD after installing?

Beans

i talked to a friend of mine. he said that he thinks there is a program saved to the bios. I eject the disk, and it loads something from novell.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Are there any other operating systems installed on the PC? Also, does the Novell screen show up almost as soon as you press the power button on the PC? If so, I think it is jsut the BIOS splash sceen and nothing to worry about as long as Ubuntu installs normally.
    Another round of Ubuntu for my friends here!
    Fighting to bring Pink back to The Pink Ponies archive.
    DELETE INSANITY!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lukjad007 View Post
    Are there any other operating systems installed on the PC? Also, does the Novell screen show up almost as soon as you press the power button on the PC? If so, I think it is jsut the BIOS splash sceen and nothing to worry about as long as Ubuntu installs normally.
    There is no os. Novell shows up as soon as i turn it on. I think ubuntu installs right, but it won't boot.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

When you say it doesn't boot, does that mean that you don't see anything after the Novell screen or that you cannot login?

Also, maybe Xubuntu would work better on your PC since it is lighter on your computer.
    Another round of Ubuntu for my friends here!
    Fighting to bring Pink back to The Pink Ponies archive.
    DELETE INSANITY!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jic12 View Post
    There is no os. Novell shows up as soon as i turn it on. I think ubuntu installs right, but it won't boot.
    Can you take a photo of that Novell screen?

Beans

I was planning on upgrading ram and hd today, but my motherboard is not ddr2 compatible. I will take a picture the next time that i mess around with it. It will be this weekend. I dont have a monitor cable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast