Thread: NTFS and Ext3:

Beans

NTFS and Ext3:

I have ubuntu installed from inside windows option. It dint create a new partition, uses the same partition ntfs.
    I want to know, will it access disk files as ext3?, i have to check the latency of indirect blocks, will this system access files as ext3 does?

Beans

Re: NTFS and Ext3:

What?
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans

I had windows installed in my machine. I installed ubuntu, but as i dint install it from disk drive, it used the existing partition of NTFS and dint create another one. I want to check if ubuntu will do file access internally as a normal EXT3 does?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Do you wish to access your ext3 partitions from windows? Download and install the EXT2IFS driver on Windows: http://fs-driver.org. This enables read/write access to ext3 partitions from Windows.

EDIT: Just saw the last post. Ubuntu will access all ext3 drives just the same way it does when installed on a separate partitions and not on a virtual one using wubi.
    Sayak Banerjee
    KDE Sysadmin | KDE e.V.
    Need help? Contact us.

Beans

No that's not what i want to do. I am accessing files from ubuntu. I have to do an exercise of latency check, while reading files from direct blocks and indirect blocks. But if being intalled in ntfs partition, will it have same internal access scheme as ext3?

Beans

My system has 2 drives, C: and D:.
    C: drive has windows installed.
    D: drive had some data.

Now both the drives were NTFS. I installed ubuntu from iso from windows. Now ubuntu is installed in D: (NTFS partition only).

When i boot into ubuntu, it says, NTFS filesystem type.

My question is: When ubuntu accesses files, will it read them as ext3 does? i mean internal read operation. My exercise wants me to study latency of direct and indirect block read. I hope u got my point.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

He's using Wubi. It won't be the same because they're different file systems and files are placed differently on the partition.